You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Glyph Browser did not pick up a Private Use Area character

The problem is described within the following thread.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/82885-can-you-find-the-white-crested-tiger-heron/

Yet with another font, a TrueType font, the glyphs can be entered from the Glyph Browser.

So does it depend on whether it is a TrueType font or an OpenType font?

There could be some issue with the font, but the glyph is there and can be used in Affinity Publisher.

So what is the issue?

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

35 minutes ago, William Overington said:

There could be some issue with the font

You mention in the linked thread that you used version 8 of High-Logic FontCreator to make the font. Did you try using that program’s font verification feature to check for any issues which might explain the problem you’ve described?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

You mention in the linked thread that you used version 8 of High-Logic FontCreator to make the font. Did you try using that program’s font verification feature to check for any issues which might explain the problem you’ve described?

No, I'll do it now.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

35 minutes ago, MikeW said:

just switch the area to the Private Use Area and pick it.

Works just fine for me, too.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thank you both. I have only just noticed your posts.

I thought that I had tried that, yet following your posts I had another try just in case.

But I still have not been able to find a way to do it.

I am wondering if this is because I am using the light grey background rather than the black background.

William

UI style does not make a difference for me.

image.png.f014b2066150cbccbc4d0da90d900bc1.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Well, I went to dark user interface and it worked, then when I went back to light user interface it still worked.

So I closed it down and started it up again, it being in light user interface and it worked.

William

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.