You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Extend (predict) paths

You can extend a path with both the Pen and Pencil tool, but seeing how I am not familiar with Vectorscribe, I assume you're looking into doing something different than just continue from a path's end point. Judging from that GIF, are you asking if there is a way to choose what areas of a path to have a visible stroke as oppose to the whole path? If so, the answer is no, but that would be a great feature!

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

@Artem F There is currently no way to predict the flow of a curve in AD, at least not in the way that Vectorscribe does.

The 1.7 beta will allow you to turn on a preview of where the curve will go (called Rubber Band Mode), which could help with manually extending a curve.

My GIF shows how the Rubber Band Mode works.

399221175_AffinityRubberBandMode.gif.993e75e70cd0169fb552d5a0288f6797.gif

During the initial creation the feature works quite well.

But once the line is deselected then reselected the behaviour is not ideal.

The start node is a Smooth Node so this shows a useful curving preview when extending the line.

But the final node is a Sharp Node, so the preview shows a straight line, which is not what I'm trying to achieve.

Trying to change the final node to Smooth not only destroys the existing curve (very frustrating!), but also doesn't change the preview from a straight line to a curve!?!

I wonder if @Ben can do anything to improve this?

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

1 hour ago, Aammppaa said:

Trying to change the final node to Smooth not only destroys the existing curve (very frustrating!), but also doesn't change the preview from a straight line to a curve!?!

There was a bit of a change with the key commands in the 1.7 beta. If you deselected a path and wish to continue it with the previous curve, then hold down Ctrl/Cmd when selecting the last node.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• Staff
11 hours ago, Aammppaa said:

@Artem F There is currently no way to predict the flow of a curve in AD, at least not in the way that Vectorscribe does.

The 1.7 beta will allow you to turn on a preview of where the curve will go (called Rubber Band Mode), which could help with manually extending a curve.

My GIF shows how the Rubber Band Mode works.

399221175_AffinityRubberBandMode.gif.993e75e70cd0169fb552d5a0288f6797.gif

During the initial creation the feature works quite well.

But once the line is deselected then reselected the behaviour is not ideal.

The start node is a Smooth Node so this shows a useful curving preview when extending the line.

But the final node is a Sharp Node, so the preview shows a straight line, which is not what I'm trying to achieve.

I wonder if @Ben can do anything to improve this?

Instead of using the convert node type button, just try re-dragging out the last node.  In the smooth mode, it should allow you to create a smooth point out of the last point.  The cursor should change to show you can do this.

Currently, the convert to smooth button doesn't extend the leading handle out.  For in-between points it will extend the smooth handles in both directions.  From memory, I'm not sure if this was intended or not.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• Staff

That looks like it was a bug.  I've fixed it so that when you smooth an end node, it will extend the leading handles also.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.