Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hey there,

 

Is there a possibility to change the color of the bullet points in a bulleted list independently from the color of the text following it?

 

Thank you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes. Make a character style, based on the style used in the bullet paragraph style. Only change the color. Then in the bullets and numbering section of the bullet paragraph style, set the bullet to use the character style you created. 

Mike 


My computer is a nothing-special Toshiba laptop with unremarkable specs running Windows 10 64-bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2019 at 8:35 PM, MikeW said:

Yes. Make a character style

Exactly. That said, there seem to be a few issues with this process which I already reported a few betas ago.

When you specify a bullet character style at paragraph style level, some properties seem to be applied correctly (colour for instance), some, such at point size, seem to be wrong. For instance, when you want to use an 8pt bullet with a 11pt paragraph style, the bullet is 11pt large when the bulleted paragraph style is applied to an unstyled paragraph. You have to go to the Bullets and Numbering tab on the PAragraph pane, remove the character style in the Style field and apply it again (after which it is applied correctly). 

Interestingly, the bug seems to affect other paragraph properties such as leading. In my project, extra leading space is applied between character-styled bullet paragraphs and this can be fixed only by removing and re-applying the bullet character style.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2019 at 8:35 PM, MikeW said:

Yes. Make a character style, based on the style used in the bullet paragraph style. Only change the color. Then in the bullets and numbering section of the bullet paragraph style, set the bullet to use the character style you created. 

Mike 

Thanks a lot, I was trying to figure this out for several hours... It is strange that such a basic settings has to be that complicated :( (also in InDesign). It would be really nice to simplify it in the future  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Horys said:

Thanks a lot, I was trying to figure this out for several hours... It is strange that such a basic settings has to be that complicated :( (also in InDesign). It would be really nice to simplify it in the future  

Hi Horys.

Perhaps I am so old and use to the ID/QXP method that I don't find the present APub method complicated that I don't see a need for making it simpler. I do believe should Serif ever provide ePub/HTML5 export that a character style will either need to be present for a bullet change from the base style or they will need to use spans for each and every bullet in such an export anyway. From a POV of editing the resulting ePub/HTML5 output, a character style for this (and other overrides) is preferable.


My computer is a nothing-special Toshiba laptop with unremarkable specs running Windows 10 64-bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, MikeW said:

Hi Horys.

Perhaps I am so old and use to the ID/QXP method that I don't find the present APub method complicated that I don't see a need for making it simpler. I do believe should Serif ever provide ePub/HTML5 export that a character style will either need to be present for a bullet change from the base style or they will need to use spans for each and every bullet in such an export anyway. From a POV of editing the resulting ePub/HTML5 output, a character style for this (and other overrides) is preferable.

Well I admit that I am a beginner and I have almost zero experience (before I only used Indesign for ca. 2 months a that's it) and I have neither clue about technical aspects of software nor how programming works. As an "unprofessional  user I'd simply expect to be able to choose colour of a bullet point in same menu, where I can choose its style (like it is in PowerPoint for example). But I know that program like Publisher or InDesign is much more sophisticated than PowerPoint and there is a good reason why it isn't possible to do it as simple as in PP. Nevertheless I am really happy for product like Publisher and learning how it works is great fun.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×