You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Resize Photo but different size background

Objective: To display my photo which is, for example, 1400 x 900 on a black background of 1400 x 1050. Required by the camera club.

I thought I had this sorted. Imported my photo, resized the Document to the required 1400 pixel and let height default to say 900. Then resized the canvas to 1400 x 1050. However, I then started to crop my image and now that process doesn't work for me. I've watched several Affinity videos but none have helped me solve this. I did look at FAQs but can't find the answer.

Regards

• Staff

Hi Aarkeus,

16 minutes ago, Aarkeus said:

I then started to crop my image and now that process doesn't work for me

Can you give a bit more information about what is failing?

I've followed the steps you've listed and didn't have any issues with cropping.

Why don't you start by 
- creating a new file = File > New 1400 x 1050 in the required DPI (72dpi I suppose)
- then add a black fill Layer = Layer > New fill layer, and in the context toolbar set the colour to black
- then use the File > place command to place your photo on top.

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

Stokerg - The attached shows the steps and images of what happens. Obviously doing something wrong.

HVDB - That might work. Can I still crop the image after placing it on top or do I do all the processing of the photo first, including the crop and save it. Sorry but I'm quite new to Affinity. 

When you do a crop it is non-destructive

Extending the canvas will reveal the rest of the image you had previously cropped

To prevent that happenning Layer > Rasterise the image after cropping it, then do the canvas resizing

PS In the new 1.7 betas you have to use Layer > Rasterise & Trim

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 hour ago, carl123 said:

When you do a crop it is non-destructive

Extending the canvas will reveal the rest of the image you had previously cropped

To prevent that happenning Layer > Rasterise the image after cropping it, then do the canvas resizing

PS In the new 1.7 betas you have to use Layer > Rasterise & Trim

Thanks, I'll give that a go. Does it make any difference if I crop in Develop Persona or should I leave it until I get to Photo Persona?

5 minutes ago, Aarkeus said:

Thanks, I'll give that a go. Does it make any difference if I crop in Develop Persona or should I leave it until I get to Photo Persona?

Yes that worked. Thank you. None of the Helps or Videos alluded to that. I appreciate the help, thanks again.

8 minutes ago, Aarkeus said:

Does it make any difference if I crop in Develop Persona or should I leave it until I get to Photo Persona?

Cropping in the Develop Persona is destructive
Cropping in the Photo Persona is non-destructive so you need to Rasterise it for it to become destructive

Glad it worked for you.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.