You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Paste FX Layer Effect not working 100%

Maybe I'm expecting too much, but when I copy a FX and then do a Paste FX command, I think the pasted FX should have the same values as what I copied. I have the FX set to blur 30%, opacity 70%. Creating a style seems to be more consistent, but it's also numerically off each time its applied.

1842450296_ScreenShot2019-02-27at4_46_33PM.thumb.png.9e87720cf61cc01e9e88152348078b00.png1757955385_ScreenShot2019-02-27at4_49_29PM.thumb.png.849aea6321d6d5c5d5cfa13d0659c8fe.png

I presume the second one was your original, and the first one was the pasted result?

If so, looks like the copy rounded the radius.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

I presume the second one was your original, and the first one was the pasted result?

If so, looks like the copy rounded the radius.

Nope. The first is the original, the second is the pasted FX. There's no consistency for what the radius figure will be wether pasted or applied as a style. It's usually close like within 20.

I think AFPub is trying to match a blur based on object size that the FX is applied to. Applied to a smaller image and the radius is smaller, although I cannot say this is true consistently.

I did a test and I think my conclusion about how AFPub works (or more likely how AFPhoto works) is true. I placed two version of the same photo on my page. One is small and one is large, both have different resolutions. I applied my Layer FX style which was saved as 30px rad. blur and 70% opacity to both images. The results indicate that the layer effect is being adjusted so the end results look similar with images at different sizes and resolutions. The opacity stays the same always at 70%, but the blur radius changes. In this case the small image results in a 3.7 px rad. blur, and the large image results in a 28.3 px rad. blur. After preforming this test and getting a better understanding of how this works, I now believe AFPub is managing this correctly.

I have attached the test file.

FX Test.afpub

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.