You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Inpainting tool not working - Painting everything black

Hello

I have been using Affinity Photo for a few years now and never had an issue  For some reason when I use the inpainting tool it turns the area I want gone black.  I attached a picture to show what it is doing, the black is where I drew with the inpainting tool, it is selected and I always create an a copy.  I have done this hundreds of times and never ran across this issue, please help!

Screen Shot 2019-02-25 at 6.45.36 PM.png

• Staff

Hi Macori,

Welcome to the forums.

I can't seem to be able to reproduce the issue, can you confirm a few details for me.

1. Could you attach a screenshot of your entire screen
2. Have you edited the brush at all?
3. Have you tried a different brush?
4. Does this affect all documents or just this one?
5. Confirm if you are using release or beta

HI Lee

1. see attached - done some other editing since posting but the issue still persists
  2. No, I haven't done edited it
  3. Yes does the same thing
  4. At least a 2-3 images of that batch so far, but some photos seem okay so far
  5. I am using version 1.6.7
  6. I should also mention that I use Adobe Bridge to cull my photos and open them from Bridge

Screen Shot 2019-02-26 at 11.00.48 AM.png

Have you tried turning off each layer one at a time to see what the effect would be on the black, that could possibly isolate the issue.

Could you replicate the issue and upload the afphoto doc?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Hi firstdefence

Yes I have, it does this is on all the layers.  Initially I was use the inpainting tool as the first tool in my workflow process after making a copy layer of the background. As I edited this picture I tried using it on each layer and it continues to come up black. I have not changed anything and have no issues with the tool last week (or even the last 2 years) when I was editing.

In the closeup image you posted first it almost looks like its erasing the red and showing black underneath because it doesn't appear to replicate the black colour on the layer icon, it shows as lighter. Have you tried making a pink rectangle and placing it underneath the image where the black is to see if you can see the pink below? this would rule out my theory on erasing.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions