You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

You and I both Ronnie, unfortunately I don't think they are listening. The market (world) needs a AE rival without a subscription!!!!

I'm going to upgrade to Yosemite today and get the M5 update. I saw they mention something about shape and kf tools being better. I am sooooooo hoping!!!!!

Yah, That why I am trying to spend some time with Hitfilm pro 3 it's about as close as we can get and looks the and feels the most promising. I so over my life being one big subscription. I about to can my gym subscription too I  am just done with it lol!

Ronnie - I do a lot of shape layer animation and stuff like that in AE. How is HitFilm with that type of motion graphics stuff? 

Hey! Chris I have not tried that yet. I just getting started. Right now from what I  can tell it very similar  to AE with the time lines and applying effects, butI not seeing how to create shape layer styled animation. It seems to cater to doing more movie effects  not so much motion graphic in the style your asking. Between Motion and this though I think I can get a lot done.

Let me get back to you on that one. You can download the demo from the site. it is fully functional and free. You can save, but you can only export to youtube from the demo.

Isn't hitfilm windows only?

It was up until  Hitfilm pro 3. They utilized  kickstarter to fund the development of the mac version. You can download the demo and give her a try.

• 4 weeks later...

mystrawberrymonkey:

I loved your video tutorial. For your first one, awesome! There are ways you could probably shorten it a bit (see the Ripple Training in 5 minutes series for the ultimate masterclasses), but I never felt time was dragging, it was all good stuff and I learnt a lot (which is the whole point!). I look forward to your next tutorials as I use Motion and FCPX a lot and am just getting into AD.

Ronnie - I do a lot of shape layer animation and stuff like that in AE. How is HitFilm with that type of motion graphics stuff? 

I'm always stunned at how bad AE is at Shape Layer animation. Everything is counterintuitive and requires scripting to get anything to work half decently.

AE is a compositor that just so happens to also do some of the stuff that might be considered motion graphics. 

That there isn't a true motion graphics app (for 2D) is a real travesty. It's far easier to do 2D motion graphics in 3ds Max or Maya (or even C4D) than it is to do it in AE.

Some of the cartoon drawing apps could have stepped up, but always struggle to keep their own audiences contented, it seems.

And Motion doesn't offer realtime previews at 60fps... the suggested work-around is export to a quicktime file and preview externally. And that is fucking ridiculous.

btw if you're moving to Yosemite with AE, be prepared to lose the first second or so of RAM preview on every single first run through. If you rely on RAM Preview... then stay with Mavericks.

Yes, I am still on Maverick on my main machine and testing Yosemite on my other machine. I am not switching over until I positive everything I use works with little or no issue.  The new motion update only works with Yosemite of course, so I am sure I gonna have to bite the bullet soon. Right now,  I have too much client work going to make the full jump in the middle of some projects. I am trying to get off the Adobe nipple period. I am slowly working towards using a handful of none adobe apps in my workflow. The problem I am running into at the moment is when I have to turn files over to some clients I have to give it to them in some sort of Adobe file format. Adobe has such a strong hold none creative don't think anything else is "professional" or they just think it to0 much to learn how to use anything else. I am working hard to convince them otherwise. Funny the looks I get when I say I using anything else but adobe but the final product is just as good and some cases better. better for me because I can work faster in other tools like Affinity line of products.