You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Things I'd like to see in Designer

Hey

I've been trying Designer and while it is very promising I think it lacks some fundamental features before it can be used in battle. I know some of these are coming in the future, but others are not.

Being able to use the space outside of the artboard

This is a huge deal. No artist or designer ever works in a confined space. We need to try things, compare, or maybe save some little thing for later.

Multiple artboards

This might not be a big deal for an illustrator, but it is for a designer (paper, UX, etc). Rarely projects span 1 single layout, and having all layouts on the same document is a big productivity boost because it allows to move and copy elements between pages. Of course this also comes handy when exporting multipage PDFs or printing, but it's not the main reason IMO.

Rotate workspace

Photoshop does this, but Illustrator does not. It's an essential feature for people that learned to draw on paper (like myself). Manga studio, Sketchbook, or Procreate which are the most used illustration apps also do this.

Shaper builder tool

While this is not an essential tool it has changed my vector workflow for the best since Adobe introduced it 2 or 3 years ago. It would be great to have something similar in Designer. This is it.

Eraser vector brush
Again, this is not essential, but it's a nice feature to shape objects with the tablet using pressure sensitivity.

And that's it. With Affinity Photo and Designer I can see myself moving away from Adobe for all my individual projects, and maybe some of my collaborative projects.

Good job guys

While an eraser will be nice. AD has some serious issues with how the points are generated and that being said you get random distributions, and way too many points. No way to simplify the shape either. You have to do it manually. It still has some way to go before more tools can be useful.

UI Designer, CG Artist

Macbook Pro 15" 2014

2.5 Ghz, 750M

https://www.behance.net/VladMafteiuScai

• 3 weeks later...

use the space outside the art board: TOTALLY.  I really miss this!   Also multiple art boards would allow to orchestrate my work/workflow much better than independent files.