You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

resize doc/retain total pixels?

Hi all, I have another question for my switch from Adobe:

In Photoshop I can resize a document's size in inches without changing the total file size (total pixels) and the dpi will change accordingly. For example, file is sent to me at 4000x3000 at 100 dpi, which gives me a print image size of 40x30 inches. I want to resize to 20x15 but not change total pixels of file. In PShop I uncheck resample, change inches to 20x15, and the dpi changes automatically to 200. It doesn't appear that I can do that in AP, I must instead go to a calculator and determine what the dpi should change to so no resizing of the original pixels takes place. How do I accomplish this in AP?

Not very easily. You can uncheck resample and drag DPI slider/enter new DPI value but you cannot enter new values in inches (millimetres). This is something devs are aware that is missing (I just wish they remember it should be corrected!)

You could try entering an expression for the dpi box. In this case you could enter *=2 which would convert 100dpi to 200dpi. If you have the old and new sizes, you could try entering:  *=40/20.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630