You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

TV DVD player cannot open photo file from Affinity

@Nikon 1

Following up what @Lee D has written, I suspect that you have burned the Affinity Photo files to DVD; this produces a Data DVD which your computer can read/open because you have Affinity Photo installed on your computer.  Any computer which does NOT have APh installed would NOT be able to read the files on your DVD.

You need to Export your files to a format, e.g. jpg., which is, effectively, "universal", i.e they can be opened by any computer, whether or not APh is installed.

Unfortunately, though, there is an additional problem in the method you are using!  I assume you are inserting your DVD into a standard DVD Player, or, perhaps, a DVD Drive on your TV?  Is that correct?  If so, it is more than likely that the chosen drive cannot read/play any Data DVD since this is in a different format to a standard DVD.  (Your disc player needs certain codes and information to be burned on to the disc which tells it, essentially, what the content of the disc is; where, exactly, on the disc each file is located; and a whole lot more!)  A Data DVD does NOT contain that information so your player does not know what to do with the disc!

OTOH, if your DVD player can handle Data DVDs successfully, the problem is simply one of the format of the files you have burned to disc.

HTH

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

If the problem is as @emmrecs01 indicates, then you might have better luck copying your images onto a USB stick, assuming your TV has a USB slot!

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

10 hours ago, Lee D said:

Hi Nikon1,

Welcome to the forums.

Which format did you export the files to using Affinity as it would need to be one that the DVD player supports opening.

When I finished each slide I hit 'save as' put a name on the file and the program automatically saved it as .afphoto. I was not given a choice of the file format. Therefore, all photo files on the disk and on a flash drive are .afphoto files and the DVD player, the TV USB port and my wife's computer will not open either the disk or the flash drive.

Why is there not away to save in a simple .JPEG format?

7 hours ago, emmrecs01 said:

@Nikon 1

Following up what @Lee D has written, I suspect that you have burned the Affinity Photo files to DVD; this produces a Data DVD which your computer can read/open because you have Affinity Photo installed on your computer.  Any computer which does NOT have APh installed would NOT be able to read the files on your DVD.

You need to Export your files to a format, e.g. jpg., which is, effectively, "universal", i.e they can be opened by any computer, whether or not APh is installed.

Unfortunately, though, there is an additional problem in the method you are using!  I assume you are inserting your DVD into a standard DVD Player, or, perhaps, a DVD Drive on your TV?  Is that correct?  If so, it is more than likely that the chosen drive cannot read/play any Data DVD since this is in a different format to a standard DVD.  (Your disc player needs certain codes and information to be burned on to the disc which tells it, essentially, what the content of the disc is; where, exactly, on the disc each file is located; and a whole lot more!)  A Data DVD does NOT contain that information so your player does not know what to do with the disc!

OTOH, if your DVD player can handle Data DVDs successfully, the problem is simply one of the format of the files you have burned to disc.

HTH

Jeff

What you have said makes sense. You are correct the DVD and the TV and my wife's computer without the Affinity program do not the files. So, getting the 320 files in the JPEG format: is there a batch way this can be done or is it one at a time?

Why is there not away to save in a simple .JPEG format?

In "Affinity-speak" you can "save" only in Affinity Photo (.afphoto) format.

You need to use the option to "Export", File>Export, and choose the type of file you wish to export to, presumably .jpg.  Make sure you check ALL the available settings on the Export screen, including those under the "More" button.

7 minutes ago, Nikon 1 said:

is there a batch way this can be done

Yes.  Explore the options under File>New Batch Job.  I cannot advise on the settings to use on this screen because I've never needed to use it.

HTH

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

5 minutes ago, emmrecs01 said:

In "Affinity-speak" you can "save" only in Affinity Photo (.afphoto) format.

You need to use the option to "Export", File>Export, and choose the type of file you wish to export to, presumably .jpg.  Make sure you check ALL the available settings on the Export screen, including those under the "More" button.

Yes.  Explore the options under File>New Batch Job.  I cannot advise on the settings to use on this screen because I've never needed to use it.

HTH

Jeff

Thanks so much, I will see what I can do. For a non-tech this has been a stressful trek.