You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Exporting paths

Hi! I started using the Designer app on my iPad Pro and it’s great! I’ve tried exporting my illustrations so I can fine tune them on my iMac using Adobe Illustrator, however I can’t seem to export the paths without them being turned into outlines with thousands of nodes - meaning they’re impossible to edit.

I’ve tried exporting as PDF’s, EPS’s and SVG - all 3 files types convert the path strokes to outlines when opened in Adobe Illustrator, and I have experimented with turning my paths/brushes into ‘standard’ strokes and not using any pressure brushes etc, but that doesn’t seem to make any difference.

Has anyone been able to save/export without all your paths being converted to outlines? 

Thanks so much!

Chris

26 minutes ago, stokerg said:

Hi Chris,

There can be a number of reasons for the extra nodes, as another user ran into here.  If you'd like to attach a copy of the .afdesign file or upload it to our Dropbox here I'd be happy to see if i can spot why this is happen :) 

Hi,

Thanks so much for getting back to me. Sorry if I have not explained it correctly - the issue is not with extra nodes being created. The issue is that my line paths are all turned to outlined shapes (which have hundreds of nodes), and I want them to remain as strokes so that I can apply brushes to them in illustrator. If they are outlined and converted to solid shapes then I cannot edit the paths of the brushes. Screen shot attached to show the outlined path, vs the path stroke.

Thanks,

Chris

Screenshot 2019-01-03 at 11.25.07.png

23 minutes ago, MEB said:

With the path selected, click the stroke width pop-up in the context toolbar, then click the Pressure button then Reset to remove the pressure profile from the stroke. This is the reason the strokes are being expanded/outlined on export.

Hi, thanks for the reply. Sorry, but I don't know what the context toolbar is or where to find it on the iPad?

4 minutes ago, MEB said:

Sorry, the instructions above were for the Mac.

No problem. Like I said, I'm trying to export my work from the iPad so I can then use it on my Mac, but every time I do, the paths are converted and become outlined shapes. I need them to remain as paths that I can continue to edit on my Mac.

To reset the pressure curve on iPad. If you want to continue the work on the Mac, there is a Mac version of AD. Just use open from cloud on iPad and edits will be saved to the file. Then use open from cloud on the Mac to continue the changes later.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

10 hours ago, DM1 said:

To reset the pressure curve on iPad. If you want to continue the work on the Mac, there is a Mac version of AD. Just use open from cloud on iPad and edits will be saved to the file. Then use open from cloud on the Mac to continue the changes later.

You sir, are a legend! That has done it! Thanks so much :)

• 3 years later...

Hello - I'm having the same issue, but I do not have Affinity Designer for desktop. I want to continue editing the paths in Adobe illustrator, but every time I export an eps file the paths get expanded. Is there a solution to tthis issue that does not involve having to buy affinity for desktop? 

Thanks! 
Marina 

14 hours ago, marinamuun said:

every time I export an eps file the paths get expanded

Lines with pressure will always get expanded. You need to select all and do the pressure reset in the stroke studio before exporting as svg.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/