You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

perspective of skyscraper

Hi, if we look up to a skyscraper we see the floors getting shorter.
A wide lens makes the floors longer. An ultra wide lens can make the highest floors higher than that one on the ground, which are in reality (meters/ feet) both the same.
Is there a way, what I not see (perspective and meshes do not), to make the highest floors shorter floor by floor a little less, so that all floors in the image at least are on the same high? Thx, lars

all Aff 2.2: Capture One+ 23 pro; MacBook Pro, OSX 10.15.7,  Fuji X-Pro2 

I think you need to make this more explicit. If I look at a tall building, the upper floors look less tall and less wide than the lower floors. This is a simple perspective effect. You will get the same effect with any camera lens (other than a tilt-shift). In the skyscraper pic you posted in your other thread (to set camera and lens), you seem to have applied perspective correction which has resulted in even widths of the floors, but less even heights of floors. How did you modify the perspective? Telling us that may help us to advise you.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Hi, John. The shown pic is not modified by me. I used a shift adapter and the lens nikkor 2.8/ 20 mm AiS. And the floor on top grow up by the lens – to much. If the growing would be the same like the shrinking of the floors in the perspektive it would be ok. I tried Liqify, Meshes and Perpektive. But the last tools makes the hole pic smaller and the proportions are nearly the same. Or one must compress so much that the first third of the house is deformed too (no window squares any longer). 

I need a mesh to lay it on a part of the pic (may be half). And by compress it it shall compress the pic above more then below step by step, at least floor by floor, that all floors become the same high, and the pic becomes less high. Please think to the tool Perspective with the meshes. If I could compress every mesh individual ist could help. Starting say in the middle (meshes = X) it could made the next X-y, then X-2y, X-3y... (in exact mathematics it is a little more complecated I think). If not autmatic (saying X= and Y=) it could be made by hand. Thx, lars

I find it difficult too understand your descripion. By shift adaptor, do you mean a bit of hardware that converts your wide-angle lens into a  tilt-shift lens, so that the image you take has perspective corrected SOTC (straight out of the camera)?

Given an image showing perspective distortion similar to that as seen by eye, then you should be able to use the perspective correction tools. Alternatively, you could use Equations in the Distort Filter (Filter > Distort > Equations). This allows you to corrrect perspective using a couple of sliders. I may well have a macro that does this. I will have a look when I get back to my desktop. The macro uses a method not unlike that you are suggesting with your X, X-y, X-2y etc.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

The most obvious choice in my eyes would be DXO's Viewpoint app, this is the image after I used DXO Viewpoint, bit of a rough job using the jpeg example from the post but you will probably find the windows are much closer in dimension now at the 3.2, 3.05 & 3.0 locations.

769672118_viewpointmodded.thumb.jpeg.3fd1cd69ee00071008765677ae2c5a03.jpeg

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

3 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

The most obvious choice in my eyes would be DXO's Viewpoint app

Indeed. I would use it myself, but I was trying to confine my comments to AP.

Pity that ViewPoint does not work as a plugin.

Jonh

from the image from viewpoint it might help guide the perspective grid in Affinity Photo just a thought.

On a more practical level taking the image again from a higher vantage point and cropping after perspective adjustments and or making a panorama image stitched together would probably be a part of the solution to obtain a better image .

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Hi, yes, an adaptor, but only to shift, without tilt. The camera stands vertical, then 9 mm shifting. I tried DXO, found it as Plug in using in Aperture. And it break down soon. The DXO has the problem to short the floors below too, not so much as above in my pic done but it does. And with the perspective tool in APh it seems to be more below than DXO. It is possible to go down with the basic line too a little. Better would be to set the meshes free and only in a part of the pic (therefor: Beta?). I hoped to see the pic not so small... The way Filter/ distortion/ equation I did not see before and don´t understand; /deform does not work. Thanks a lot! lars

aph-1.thumb.jpeg.bd1bb606d7d46f76a7e040755ace5ee2.jpeg

1 hour ago, larsh said:

Here it is!

In the meshes tool (what shows no meshes) it can be done. If one set two lines horizontal the movement only works between them! 

You have to double click on the image to sets the control points. Create you own mesh if you like.

mesh.jpg.51635378f39806262c8cd3f3318e9f4b.jpg

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.