You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi millne,

Welcome to the forum.

Or you on MAC or Windows ?

What exactly did you do ?

Is it an image or a pixel layer  (see attachment) you're working on ?

If possible could you attach a screenshot ?

Image_or°Pixel_Layer.jpg

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

I suppose you selected the correct layer to clone to ?

Otherwise, if possible, could you save your document as an .afphoto format and attach that one, so we could have a look at ?

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

A screenshot of the Clone tool Settings shown above the workspace would also help.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

The only abnormalities I see is that :
- you made a copy of the background layer
- a 32 px brush size is very small
- with  Source : "Current Layer & Below" selected, the cloning will affect both layers !

Try the following :
- delete de duplicate layer
- add a new (blank) pixel layer on top and keep it active (= a non-destructive working method)
- keep Source : "Current Layer & Below" selected

Then restart cloning and see what happens .

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42

Do you have a specific brush selected? check the brush settings of the brush you are using. I've just teased this hairy cows wig lol!

Screen-Shot-2018-12-28-at-19-24-29.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

26 minutes ago, millne said:

Hi firstdefense,

Just tried different brushes no change. 

I'd close the app down and reopen it, if that doesn't work reboot the system, else upload the file as HVDB asks, so we can try it out on our systems. 

23 minutes ago, millne said:

Do you mean uninstall Affinity and start from afresh?

I do appreciate your help.

No just restart the app, I've read a few people who seem to have this issue, its like the app functions but appears to lock up and will not process the tool being used.

I know hopefully we can get you working :-)

I've just noticed in the original screenshot the Add Global Sources is faded check the sources window and bin any images in the window by clicking on them then clicking on the bin bottom right of the sources window. then close the sources window.

Again I can clone from that image so its just a setting I think

This is what I do.

1. Load image and make sure its a Pixel Layer
  2. Click on the brushes Panel and select Spray-Paints 64px usually about 4th one down.
  3. Select Clone Tool
  4. In the top menu for the clone tool Click More and check the brush settings
  5. go to the image and Alt click on the area I want to clone from, move to the area I want to clone to and left click and hold and start cloning.

1 hour ago, millne said:

That seems to work but it seems to be set at about 10% opacity although my settings are 100%.

That might be better managed by clicking the More button, this brings up the brushes settings.

Screen-Shot-2018-12-29-at-20-50-20.png

On 12/29/2018 at 3:31 AM, HVDB Photography said:

The only abnormalities I see is that :
- you made a copy of the background layer
- a 32 px brush size is very small
- with  Source : "Current Layer & Below" selected, the cloning will affect both layers !

Try the following :
- delete de duplicate layer
- add a new (blank) pixel layer on top and keep it active (= a non-destructive working method)
- keep Source : "Current Layer & Below" selected

Then restart cloning and see what happens .

thanks for that idea -- something new
Just to add > a layer mask can be used on the blank layer to lighten/remove the clone effect
Good one; and just when I thought I knew it all lol