You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New Purchase - Hard Copy or Digital Download?

Hello everyone,

I am in the process of exploring Affinity Photo ( on day 2 of trial ), and so far, after initial frustrations, Im beginning to enjoy the potential.

I do have a question though: at the point of purchase, is there an option to buy a physical copy, a disk, containing the programme, or is it all via digital download? Could I add it to a cd/dvd (or maybe a compact flash card/usb memory stick) to keep a hard copy? Or once purchase has been completed, is this software only accessed via an online account?

Im new to purchasing software this way; I still prefer to buy software on a disk in a box with fancy designs :D Its nice to have a physical disk to keep hold of; but maybe Im just behind on the times.

Thanks for any help.

tee cee

Hi, welcome to the Affinity forums.

Affinity software is supplied by download only - you should always, as a matter of course, keep the (downloaded) installer file on a "safe storage" medium in case you ever need to reinstall your software.  That storage medium can be a Memory Stick, flash card, another hard drive or, in your case, you can burn it as a data disc to CD (it will fit!) or to DVD.

HTH

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

26 minutes ago, emmrecs01 said:

Hi, welcome to the Affinity forums.

Affinity software is supplied by download only - you should always, as a matter of course, keep the (downloaded) installer file on a "safe storage" medium in case you ever need to reinstall your software.  That storage medium can be a Memory Stick, flash card, another hard drive or, in your case, you can burn it as a data disc to CD (it will fit!) or to DVD.

HTH

Jeff

Thanks for the welcome and clarification, Jeff.

Having the installer saved to disc or memory stick, in the event of ever needing to re-install Affinity Photo, either to a new home pc (Microsoft windows) or after pc crash, would you just install again from the installer and is the installation code/key then retrieved from ones online account with Affinity, where I presume, it will always be available, for such events?

Thanks again,

ps: once purchased, will I receive all subsequent updates, and do these require further payment?

Thanks

tee cee

• Staff

As Jeff says we would recommend making a back up of the software onto a flash drive or disk. You will also be able to download it whenever you want and as many times as you want from within the 'downloads and product keys' section of your Affinity Store account. You can also view your product keys in this area.

• Staff

The software would be yours for as long as you wish to use it and updates will be free to use it until we get to version 2.0. At that point you can choose either to keep using it as is or pay to receive more updates. 

Bearing in mind that we released version 1.5 in November 2016 and 1.6 in November 2017 it is safe to say that version 2.0 is still some time away.

1 hour ago, SFurniss said:

The software would be yours for as long as you wish to use it and updates will be free to use it until we get to version 2.0. At that point you can choose either to keep using it as is or pay to receive more updates. 

Bearing in mind that we released version 1.5 in November 2016 and 1.6 in November 2017 it is safe to say that version 2.0 is still some time away.

Hello SFurniss,

I appreciate your explanation and clarity,

Thank you