You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

My whole masking experience

I suppose from the Affinity Designers' perspective the Mask Feature in Publisher is perfectly rational and logically laid out, but from a Photoshop uses' experience of 10 years it is completely irrational.   There appear to be so many variables at work to make this happen that I feel very strongly that this mask feature has been overly complicated, or, that it is not designed to be a mask feature similar to photoshop because as far as I can tell, all adjustments seem to be consistently happening globally on the images, and why have matte and feather in context with foreground and background?  and why put overlay as default?  and what is ramp suppoed to be achieving all I see is a kind of expansion of something that appears pointless, and where is the logic in having 'mask below'? all masks by definition go on top regardless of what you want to do.. 

I have spent days trying to figure out how to allow a small portion of the bottom image to come through a part of the image that is laying on top. So is there anyone out there who knows the steps to make this happen? I would greatly appreciate this. 

Chris

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

33 minutes ago, Chris26 said:

So is there anyone out there who knows the steps to make this happen? I would greatly appreciate this. 

Are you looking for something like this?

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

Hallo Seneca,  thankyou for that demo, did you use the transparency tool coupled with those black and white squares top right?  I can not see how to get the black and white squares? , I clicked on the transparency tool and have the mask but I have never seen those black and white squares before. Ones on the right here from your screen.

Capture.PNG.3ea5a53c4c7148994ead5060bd1c6117.PNG

The second thing is that  I am trying to this below ,Here is a screen shot.  The fire beneath the waves,  I am just trying to get it to come through in a subtle fashion, ie, say only 25%.

Capture.thumb.PNG.ab4f1661697bd87a8f50a5d2dcc10a34.PNG

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

Hi,

Here, 2 ways to add transparency to your image: with a mask or with the transparency tool.

With a mask:

2018-10-21_153157.thumb.png.6e9711ba0e67f3ee3495c54653abfb5d.png

(Or you can use the options for gradients like in the following example.)

With the transparency tool:

2018-10-21_153919.thumb.png.4ee1322d96115503e4bcb3038d4fdf2c.png

2018-10-21_153941.thumb.png.ccb840372edb1c1a56c01f4c9fa52a4d.png

Notice the white and black colors used for solid/transparency are inverted between the gradient tool and using a gradient on a mask.

Wosven, thankyou for your screen shots.  I can now see why I was having so many problems, basically masks in publisher are not  the same as masks in photoshop they are not entirely identical,  secondly I have never used swatches in  IDD or photoshop, never needed them so know very little about them anyway.  It seems that adding a mask is completely redundant when it comes to gradients and transparency, I do not see the mask's purpose in this instance when simply using transparency has the same effect, I tried using the swatches but that just seems to complicate a simple task.  Thirdly for my particular purpose in the above screen shot I posted, it is impossible to achieve this in publisher, which is fine I just took both images back onto one page on photoshop and it was done within 45 seconds.  It was just that I was trying to achieve it in publisher believing that masks were the same in publisher as photoshop but just had a different methodology.  The gradient and transparency tool were never a problem to use, but the I am not from a design background and know nothing about illustrator so would be unfamiliar with certain ways of achieving effects that I am used to in Photoshop. I appreciate the pointers you gave me. 

@Chris26

Mask work mostly like in Photoshop, but in AD or AP we've got brushes or selection tools to modify those masks.
The interesing use if you have APhoto, is that you can work on mask in this application and copy past them (layer + mask) to APub (you can do this too in AD, but I find it easier in AP). It can be usefull if you need the same image with different masks.
When we'll get all Affinity suite to version 1.7, I hope we'll be able to switch app (as we can now open AP/AD files in AD/AP).

I must admit that I find the selection tools that are used to modify the masks in aPub a little confusing. I see their purpose by themselves and have used them successfully without employing any masks,  but  It would be so much simpler, after you select the brush in publisher mask to be able to assign it an opacity level from 1 - 100%, that simple refinement would cut out the many confusing drop down down menus and selction bit and bobs.  Anyway, this is a page maker and not a photoshop package after all.