You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How would you make such a grid, but prettier?

Hi,

I'm very new to the Affinity tools and to graphics design.  For several of my trainings  I want to make an overview of subjects covered, like for example this grid:

https://www.istqb.org/images/advanced-level-automation-engineer.png

I could make it myself in Excel, but this is quite bland and not in the colors of my preference

I would like to be able to create such a grid, with colors of my choice and with some nice effects that make it look nicer.

However, I have absolutely no idea on how to start that.  Can sombody elaborate which steps I would need to investigate and learn to be able to create a nice grid?

advanced-level-automation-engineer.png

Hi, ChrisVB,

The 1st thing I would do is figure out what the maximum amount of text one cell needs. Format that w. the Artistic Text tool, and make a shape that will contain it. Do the same for the categories of lesser importance. All the shorter text can then fit in the shape.

Have snapping tuned on. Perhaps have a visible grid, w. snapping to that turned on. Every shape (rectangles in your example) can be manually positioned. Or easily be aligned and distributed using the tools for those.

Do select the colors carefully. The example separates some rows by color, but there isn't anything obvious to me about what the colors mean. The shapes and visual position mean more.

I'll suggest going easy on any effects. If what you are doing is similar to the graphic shown, the presentation is more about the information, and its grouping, and less about grabbing attention and/or entertainment.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet