You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Kerning in Affinity Publisher

Hi,

I would like to know if Publisher applies the kerning tables that the font designer has set for the font that I have chosen. When searching for this feature in Publisher I was referred to TextEdit, why ? I always want to respect the font designer kerning tables when available.

Thanks for your help.

Andre

Bear in mind that quite a few digital fonts from reputable sources do have kerning imperfections. One of the most common is too much space following an f when the f comes at the end of a word. A few years ago, fed up with having to manually correct this with a particularly favoured typeface, I contacted Monotype, who, I am pleased to say, rectified it very quickly, whether globally for the font in question or just my set I'm not sure. But, certainly, not globally over all affected faces; the number of books in which I see the fault are many.

Thanks ABP, kerning the f is indeed a bit special, thanks for reminding me.  This requires negative spacing between an f and a space,  other characters at the end of a word may also need to be adjusted, the r for instance.  In any case even if the font is wrong Publisher must respect the font design.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.