You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

When to convert from RGB to CMYK

I understand it is normally a good idea to work in RGB and convert to CMYK towards the end of the process. With this in mind, should I

1. Use the Document > Color Format > CMYK. Then Export > Preset > TIFF CMYK

or

2. Keep the document as RGB, then Export > Preset > TIFF CMYK ?

Or does it not make any difference?

It might depend on how you are going to use the work, if it is purely for print I'd work in CMYK I can't see the point of working in RGB only to convert to CYMK later on. If you are going to use the work on a variety of media such as a website and print then start in RGB and soft proof the document to check printing options.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.4.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, Markeeee said:

I understand it is normally a good idea to work in RGB and convert to CMYK towards the end of the process. With this in mind, should I

1. Use the Document > Color Format > CMYK. Then Export > Preset > TIFF CMYK

or

2. Keep the document as RGB, then Export > Preset > TIFF CMYK ?

Or does it not make any difference?

It does make a difference because of what you see. I assume using CMYK is because it will be printed?

RGB can contain and display far more colours than CMYK can. If you design using RGB the final job won't look much like what you have on your screen, depending on what colours you use. I have known people get into all sort of problems doing that. If you work in CMYK the display will be much closer to what you get.

You could use soft proofing but that is a complicated way of doing the same job.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Following your advice I'll go with option 1. I can then better see any changes between RGB to CMYK. Whereas with option 2 I can't see any changes.

Thanks

I take it since you were mentioning CMYK, you were looking at printing photos.

I will be upfront that I don't really know anything about CMYK printing, except that I used to be playing with printer profiling. If you are working with photo, my take is you want to keep it in RGB. You typically want the ICC profile to take care most of the conversion.

I don't think your option 1 change will display color that matches with what you will see in a real print. Again, if your intention is matching color then you need a printer profile. My understanding is changing color space to CMYK in option 1 will not do anything other than narrowing your working color space.

I'm new to Affinity -- have used PS CS3 for years. Is there a way to work in RGB but show the CMYK percentages with the eyedropper tool? When I click on a swatch of the photo, it shows RGB percentages. I don't want to have to convert back and forth to CMYK to get my readings. Thanks!

2 hours ago, LuckyDuck said:

I'm new to Affinity -- have used PS CS3 for years. Is there a way to work in RGB but show the CMYK percentages with the eyedropper tool? When I click on a swatch of the photo, it shows RGB percentages. I don't want to have to convert back and forth to CMYK to get my readings. Thanks!

You can use the info panel View > Studio > Info which will give a colour value readout where the mouse pointer is. 

By default one sampler is RGB and one CMYK, You can change them by clicking on the icon (shown) or add extra samplers (burger menu) and have HSL too.

pointer.jpg.326a0e71c78b18b86efdb455c2f07b6b.jpg

Not sure that is 100% what you want but I think it is the best option.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

1 hour ago, toltec said:

You can use the info panel View > Studio > Info which will give a colour value readout where the mouse pointer is. 

By default one sampler is RGB and one CMYK, You can change them by clicking on the icon (shown) or add extra samplers (burger menu) and have HSL too.

pointer.jpg.326a0e71c78b18b86efdb455c2f07b6b.jpg

Not sure that is 100% what you want but I think it is the best option.

Perfect! Thank you. BTW, what does the crosshair icon do? It looks like it freezes on a set of values, but how do you get it to change to a different spot? Thanks again. 

Screen Shot 2018-10-07 at 3.37.08 PM.jpg

13 minutes ago, LuckyDuck said:

BTW, what does the crosshair icon do? It looks like it freezes on a set of values, but how do you get it to change to a different spot

It's explained in the Affinity Help. You can see the online version here, or open Help and search for Info Panel.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.5, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.5