You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Move AD to new computer/Open Recent files

I am in the process of moving to a new computer (from El Capitan to High Sierra). I moved all the AD related directories/files I could find (primarily ~/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner), yet when I open AD on my new computer, I see no files in the Open Recent list. Where is this information stored?

• Staff

Hi John2525,

Welcome to the forums.

While I can't say where the Open Recent List information is stored, I can say this is a very unusual way to transfer software from one computer to another. To ensure everything works correctly I recommend uninstalling then re-downloading and reinstalling Affinity.

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

I agree it's unusual, @Callum. His approach may have the advantage, though, of easily preserving all of his user-defined stuff (macros, presets, brushes, assets, ...).

It's nice that the Affinity applications let us export and import our custom things, but it would be more helpful to have one Manager where we could deal with all of them at once for backup/restore purposes, rather than having separate import/export functions in their current scattered locations within each application.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

I agree it's unusual, @Callum. His approach may have the advantage, though, of easily preserving all of his user-defined stuff (macros, presets, brushes, assets, ...).

But it does not work for the open recent list & most likely for several other things as well, since some of them are at least partially stored in files maintained by the Mac OS rather than the Affinity app. (For example, I think the Affinity recents list is derived from info stored by the OS for each app, the same list that is used to show recent files if a user right-clicks on an app's Dock icon.)

The traditional way of moving to a new Mac with minimum hassle is to use the Apple-provided Migration Assistant app. I can take quite a few hours to do the transfer but once set up no user intervention is required, so a lot of users (myself included) plan to run it overnight, or at some other time when they will not be using the computer(s). The biggest benefit is it allows users to start off almost seamlessly from where they left off on the old Mac.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 hours ago, R C-R said:

The traditional way of moving to a new Mac with minimum hassle is to use the Apple-provided Migration Assistant app. I can take quite a few hours to do the transfer but once set up no user intervention is required, so a lot of users (myself included) plan to run it overnight, or at some other time when they will not be using the computer(s). The biggest benefit is it allows users to start off almost seamlessly from where they left off on the old Mac.

@R C-R, minimum hassle and maximum baggage. Migration Assistant copies everything from the (10 year) old Mac, something I absolutely did not want. Which is why I did a manual migration. More work., much less cruft.

1 hour ago, john2525 said:

More work., much less cruft.

But also missing anything that is maintained by the OS. Also, Migration Assistant does not really copy everything. It is smart enough not to copy caches, temp files, & anything that is specific to a particular Mac model or to an older OS version.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7