You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AD/iOS change units afterwards

So I imported a PDF into Designer on ipad, which is a floor plan with units set to mm in the original Illustrator-file. 

However if I open it in Designer, the units are obviously set to pt. I found no way to reset it back to mm, so I would be able to make measurements on this plan. Am I missing the document-setup?

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);
  • Keyboard layout: german apple extended keyboard (aluminium);

Sorry, but this does not change the units for me...

1. I tap the document_menu icon
  2. I tap resize
  3. on the bottom I get a toolbar with <document> 23804,0 pt <lock-icon> 9621.9 pt <separator-line> X-button and Check-button
  4. I tap on 23804,0 pt which is the width (and has a silly radial "download-progress" icon - strange UI...)
  5. a popup-window appears with "23804", <pt>, a calculator keypad and OK-button
  6. I tap <pt> and chose <mm> for millimeter - the value changes immediately to 8397,5, which should be correct
  7. I tap the OK-button
  8. NOTHING HAS CHANGED!
  9. value is 23803,9 pt which is slightly less than before... 
  10. insert <shrug emoji>

O.o

this is the german version 1.6.2.42 of Designer for iPad

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);

5 minutes ago, woefi said:

3. on the bottom I get a toolbar with <document> 23804,0 pt <lock-icon> 9621.9 pt <separator-line> X-button and Check-button

To the right of the toolbar, look for a icon. Tap that to get to the second part of the toolbar, where the first item will be "Units." 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

12 hours ago, R C-R said:

To the right of the toolbar, look for a icon. Tap that to get to the second part of the toolbar, where the first item will be "Units." 

True, but what then is the purpose of the drop down units selector on the first resize menu? It appears to do nothing.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

43 minutes ago, DM1 said:

True, but what then is the purpose of the drop down units selector on the first resize menu? It appears to do nothing.

If you mean the width & height 'calculator' popups, they allow users to enter dimensions in any of the listed units they want, without changing the document's default units.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

So ...it saves having to work out what the different dimensions you have would equate to in the current doc dimensions. After entering it reverts to the document setting, but with the newly entered dimensions. Ok, that makes sense. Thanks.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/1/2018 at 3:23 PM, R C-R said:

Thanks for finding this option!

Sadly this does not do all the things I expected...

My Situation: I use Illustrator to draw some blueprints/plans of our home with exact scale 1:100. This means 1 millimeter on the plan equals 10 centimeters in reallife (hooray metric system!)

Now moving my files to Designer and everything is now in points, which I would describe as a „bug“ (you should ALWAYS keep the same units of the source file!). If I do the trick to change the units, all is now displayed in millimeter, BUT with the unchanged pt-values - a 1 meter wide door which was 28.3 pt upon importing is now 28.3 mm - not 10mm which would be the original scale. 

I wonder if this has to do with the fact that designer is not able to import the raw illustrator-part of the file - only the pdf compatible version. And here it matters, HOW Illustrator chooses to export the pdf-part...

Anyway, obviously at this stage there is no good workflow to move thousands of ai-files accurately to designer. 

1 hour ago, woefi said:

Now moving my files to Designer and everything is now in points, which I would describe as a „bug“ ...

I am not sure if this is what you mean or relevant to it but Preferences > Interface has a pair of options to show text & lines in points. Are they enables or disabled?

Affinity Photo 

On 10/20/2018 at 11:39 PM, R C-R said:

Are they enables or disabled?

Although I use the metric system, I still use points for text as it's industry standard. So this is enabled.

• 2 years later...