You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Keeping original image layer selected

I have an image with a large number of faces on, I am trying to make each face into a separate layer/image. I don't know if there is an optimal way to do this but I have been using the marquee tool to select each face individually, then copying and pasting. However, each time I paste I then have to select the first original layer to be able to copy and paste the next face, as I am doing this for a significant number of faces its an extra time consuming step I wish to avoid. Is there a way to keep the original layer selected or a more optimal way to do this task? Thanks

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @lee.bkk. :)

Before selecting anything, copy the original image to the clipboard. Now make a selection and use the ‘Duplicate’ command (Ctrl+J on Windows, or Cmd+J on a Mac) to duplicate the selected pixels on a new layer. Deselect, paste the original to create yet another new layer, make another selection and then ‘rinse and repeat’ as necessary.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

If you have a lot of these to do, create a small macro with just 2 commands

1. CTRL+J to duplicate the selection
2. Select the Background layer

Then just make a selection of another face and run the macro

Repeat for each face

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.