You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.7.0.58 — Pages Studio Highlighting Inconsistent

Hi there,

we were advised to create a new thread for every bug or inconsitency we find in a new beta. The present report is related to

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/65603-bug-—-switching-between-master-pages-and-layout-pages/

In the new version, the pages highlighting in the Pages Studio has become inconistent between list view and standard view. In standard view, there are grey highlights as well as blue sticky highlights, and in list view, there are no highlights at all.

I had a discussion with other forum members in this other thread (please have a look), but I fear I am still at a loss to understand this UI concept. It goes against my experience with typesetting applications. Could you please enlighten me? Why is there a grey highlight and a blue one? What is that difference supposed to tell me? Is the system still buggy at this point?

Thank you, Alex :)

As I understand, the grey selection (most times) means active page, which is the page you doubleclicked and should see in the main window, the blue one is just the cursor/selection.

Of course you are right, this does not work out, because the blue outline overlays exactly the grey one...

Affinity: make the active page text bold, or put an icon above it, or a line beneath, so that the blue highlighing can be as it is.

edit: as you said, in list view, it does not show the grey active page outline at all...

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);
  • Keyboard layout: german apple extended keyboard (aluminium);

14 minutes ago, woefi said:

Affinity: make the active page text bold, or put an icon above it, or a line beneath, so that the blue highlighing can be as it is.

Or expand the outline (stroke) of the active page highlight so it is larger than the selected one, make it a contrasting color with a dash, or whatever. Just make it clearly identifiable whether the active page is part of a selection or not.

BTW, we probably should not identify the selection highlight by its blue color because it will be whatever color is set in System Preferences > General > Highlight Color, which could be anything ... including a medium grey! :o

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I remember, in the 90s, in Quark XPress 3, most UI elements were black and white. The selected page was filled black/inverted and the active page had an outline, for example... :27_sunglasses: so they could make this palette VERY small and it was perfectly readable. 

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);
  • Keyboard layout: german apple extended keyboard (aluminium);

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.