You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

image captions within longer text

Wondering about a procedure for adding captions in an illustrated text piece (not a brochure).

Text presumably to be created by linked text frames in a facing-pages document. It is a continued, relatively long story. I want to add a number of captioned illustrations laid out within this text. How do I add captions, some of which might be lengthy? In separate text frames?  Does this break the original text frame linkages? Can a caption be grouped or linked with the image so that when or if the image is moved, the caption goes with it? I want to use a different text style to differentiate caption text from body text. How can I dynamically number captions so that I can create a Table of Figures or Table of Charts or Table of Maps that includes Figure #, Chart #, Map # with its title in addition to a TOC?

• 4 months later...
On 9/3/2018 at 6:17 PM, mycroft said:

Wondering about a procedure for adding captions in an illustrated text piece (not a brochure).

Text presumably to be created by linked text frames in a facing-pages document. It is a continued, relatively long story. I want to add a number of captioned illustrations laid out within this text. How do I add captions, some of which might be lengthy? In separate text frames?  Does this break the original text frame linkages? Can a caption be grouped or linked with the image so that when or if the image is moved, the caption goes with it? I want to use a different text style to differentiate caption text from body text. How can I dynamically number captions so that I can create a Table of Figures or Table of Charts or Table of Maps that includes Figure #, Chart #, Map # with its title in addition to a TOC?

I am presently working with the same issues and just perusing the forums.   So far my most satisfactory solution is a most tedious — if ultimately successful — process.   Edit an image in Photo, bring it into Designer, add a text frame and caption, group the image and text frame, export as a JPEG, then insert the grouped JPEG into Publisher, where Text Wrap then works flawlessly.    If there is a simple way to import an image into Publisher and group it with a caption, and then place it into a text frame and use Text wrap, I haven’t found it so far.    Still looking.   Help?

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

• Staff

Hi mycroft, jmwellborn,
Usually image captions are set separate from the main story. In Publisher you can create a picture frame with the text frame below and group the two to create block you can reuse several times. Then drag and drop the image over the picture frame (on canvas) to add it to the picture frame. Enter the text for the caption on the text frame you placed/created below below. Create a text style specifically for the caption text (usually different from the main text style). Currently Affinity Publisher doesn't support anchored objects so you may have to pay attention to changes made to the main story (adding/deleting text) since they  will affect the position of the main text in relation to the image and caption that should be accompanying it. 

14 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi mycroft, jmwellborn,
Usually image captions are set separate from the main story. In Publisher you can create a picture frame with the text frame below and group the two to create block you can reuse several times. Then drag and drop the image over the picture frame (on canvas) to add it to the picture frame. Enter the text for the caption on the text frame you placed/created below below. Create a text style specifically for the caption text (usually different from the main text style). Currently Affinity Publisher doesn't support anchored objects so you may have to pay attention to changes made to the main story (adding/deleting text) since they  will affect the position of the main text in relation to the image and caption that should be accompanying it. 

Thank you, thank you!   I KNEW there had to be a way if only I was bright enough to find it.   Sounds like an Asset to me?   Although it was fun moving from Photo to Designer to Publisher (all open and running flawlessly at the same time, I might add) it was going to be a ve’r’r’ry slow process for a whole lot of illustrations scattered hither and yon over a whole lot of pages.  As far as anchored objects are concerned, thank you for the reminder.   It will surely help others as well.   I always finalize the text and do a last-edit before I start with illustrations.   That way there are no surprises and I can scroll through Page Studio thumbnails to see how the pages will look without worrying about things like “where did that polo player go?  He was right here a minute ago!”

I hope your description of how to do this makes it to the release Publisher Help.   I suspect it will be widely appreciated!    Thank you again. 

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9