You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Brushes aren't working...anyone else?

I select a Pen brush, and it always comes out the same, like the "Solid Pen" option. Pressure doesn't work, some of the other styles like fountain pen aren't working...but they work sometimes.

Is anyone else having this issue? Super frustrating 

• Staff

Hi dsgnr,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
I'm assuming you are talking about the Vector Brush Tool in Vector Persona. Can you confirm this please? Also, are you using the Apple Pencil, your fingers or a third party pen/stylus?

If you are using the Vector Brush Tool, check if you have the Controller set to Pressure in the context toolbar on bottom. Then tap the More button on the context toolbar on bottom and check the Properties section (it varies depending on the type of brush selected - the basic ones don't have the Texture section). Check the Size Variance and Opacity Variance settings. Are they set to a small value? If so you will not see much difference when you apply more/less pressure.

I'm having the same issue. While using either my Wacom Stylus Pen or even my iMac mouse! I can see the edited brush as well as any custom brushes, but when I try to use them, they all draw the same...as a basic solid brush! Please help!  I've attached a screenshot

AffinityBrush_Issues.jpg

18 hours ago, dtou2 said:

I'm having the same issue. While using either my Wacom Stylus Pen or even my iMac mouse!

How can you use your iMac mouse with an iPad?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

It looks dtou2 is using the desktop version from the screen shot.

Having bitten the bullet and bought Designer for Ipad, i discovered very quickly that you can not use the stroke and pressure studio with pixel persona brushes, only the vector ones, this is were my bamboo sketch stylus would have been useful but not getting detected by Designer.

Sara :)

Hi, summersara,

38 minutes ago, summersara said:

It looks dtou2 is using the desktop version from the screen shot.

Having bitten the bullet and bought Designer for Ipad, i discovered very quickly that you can not use the stroke and pressure studio with pixel persona brushes, only the vector ones, this is were my bamboo sketch stylus would have been useful but not getting detected by Designer.

Sara :)

The pixel brush size, opacity, saturation, etc. etc can be set within the dynamics panel under "More" in the brush bar at the bottom. My impression is that size and pressure are usually couple.

Screenshot, on the bottom, of a couple quick strokes showing both size and opacity at default

IMG_0542.jpg.46e7958b526627ea44e7a3d943f6cab8.jpg

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

The pixel brush size, opacity, saturation, etc. etc can be set within the dynamics panel under "More" in the brush bar at the bottom. My impression is that size and pressure are usually couple.

Thanks for that gdenby, is there any finger gestures that can increase/decrease 'size' specifically while drawing in pixel persona to get a type of pressure look?

1 hour ago, summersara said:

Thanks for that gdenby, is there any finger gestures that can increase/decrease 'size' specifically while drawing in pixel persona to get a type of pressure look?

No gestures that I know about. You can get finger strokes alone to respond to velocity and inverse velocity. And a curious one, direction. Both w. a finger are fairly clumsy. One reason I bought an iPencil.

Attached, 2 red strokes done by finger tip. The blue are w. size variability set to velocity, inverse velocity and direction.

FingerStrokes.thumb.jpeg.c45214a372fcecb48ceab1e9a396b54b.jpeg

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Thank you for your response but I am still experiencing the same issue. I did have the brushes set to pressure but the "controller" on the top bar was set to none so I changed it to pressure, but there is no change in the stroke lines. 

AffinityBrush_Issues2_w.jpg

• Staff

Hi dtou2,
Your screenshot is quite small. Can you post a bigger image please?
Increase the Brush Width slider a little (to the middle) so you can see more variance in brush size when using pressure (for testing purposes).

If appears it still doesn't work please change to Pixel Persona, select the Paint Brush Tool, click/enable Force Pressure to control size right after the More button in the context toolbar. Does the pressure work there?