You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

It would help if you started by telling us which app & which OS you are using.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

thank you for the reply,i know nothing about computers,I have a new MacBook Pro and I think I've the latest os Sierra and I downloaded the affinity photo app off the App Store about a week ago so I assume its the latest version, sorry if thats a bit vague but I truly do not know a thing about computers 

13 minutes ago, DARREN138 said:

thank you for the reply,i know nothing about computers,I have a new MacBook Pro and I think I've the latest os Sierra and I downloaded the affinity photo app off the App Store about a week ago so I assume its the latest version, sorry if thats a bit vague but I truly do not know a thing about computers 

OK. After you open the app, what do you do next?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

First things first - look at the very top left of your monitor. There’s an apple at the left. What’s the very next word(s) in the menu bar? Does it say Finder? Or, something else?

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

2 minutes ago, DARREN138 said:

nothing because theres nothing there only the top toolbar

On the File menu (the third item from the left at the top of the screen) choose New. The next window that pops up should be titled "New Document." Click the "OK" button at the bottom of that window. What do you see now?

Affinity Photo 

Don't know how or why this would be an issue, but try going to the VIEW menu and choosing "Toggle UI" at the very bottom of the menu. Does that make thing appear or disappear?

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

1) Is "Separated Mode" checked on the Window menu. If it is, choose it to UN-check it.

2) Did you try choosing "Toggle UI"on the View menu?

You have Affinity Photo in separated Mode, Go to Window > Separated Mode and if you see a tick and the side of it click it to make the tick disappear.
261718810_ScreenShot2018-07-23at21_45_30.png.5a88a576ce5ba06723449e2b006bdc47.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

2 minutes ago, DARREN138 said:

a screen popped up saying untitled but its separated and not a complete interface

OK. First, on the Window menu (just to the left of the Help menu) if "Separated Mode" is ticked, untick that. Then, if you still do not have the tools, toolbar, & so on, tap the Tab key on your keyboard once. What do you see now?

Affinity Photo 

Can't help you with that one unless you've got a few months (years?) and a lot of patience. It's always nice to solve a puzzle, though!

One more thing. Even if you were Separated Mode, you should have seen something! Take a look at the View menu. Make sure that you have Show Tools, Show Toolbar, and Show Context Toolbar checked. Also, make sure that you don't have the Studio hidden.

151249397_ViewMenu.thumb.jpg.4c9da725995a29e643255fa54095b4c5.jpg

4 minutes ago, DARREN138 said:

Thank you I was about to say Ive just lost the toolbar but then read your post, hope this photo editing is easy its my new hobby !!!!!!

Yet another thing that can trip you up is the last item in the View menu shown in the screenshot @smadell just posted, the one named "Toggle UI." By default, the keyboard Tab key is assigned to this function, so if you hit that key by accident, it will hide everything except the document window -- no tools, no Studio panels, no toolbars! Hit it again to toggle them back into view.

All these view options can be very useful when you want to hide or show various parts of the User Interface (what "UI" is short for in that menu item) but they can be very confusing if you are not aware they exist & can be triggered accidentally by keyboard shortcuts.

Affinity Photo