You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Slices don't scale with DPI change to document.

..er well that's it. Rather frustrating for my curretnly required workflow. 

Repro steps as my test went:

Document at 72dpi, then change the DPI to 144 with 'Rescale' on (retina is not checked). 

Result:

Artwork is scaled. Slices are not.

Matt,

hoping I can grab your attention with this one. I can't seem to change the DPI on a document if retina is unchecked, nothing appears to happen! This can't be intentional surely?

I have a doc at 72 DPI and export a 300x300pixel object

then change the DPI to 144 (with 'Objects will: Rescale' on)

None of the dimensions of my object have changed and the exported file is still 300x300.

As an aside, AD is utterly brilliant for me until I have to use the Export Persona. We need more freedom when getting artwork out. I can only use it once it's out of AD and my hands are all tied up at the moment  :(

Consider this a big vote for added functionality to slices/inclusion of art-boards/exporting any resolution/opt out of forced naming conventions etc. FREEDOM!  :D

• Staff

Hi Malcolm,

If you've got a document that's using pixels as its units, then changing dpi will appear to change nothing - because the pixels are still pixels, so 300 pixels is still 300 pixels (if you see what I mean). The only difference should be if you now export then the correct dpi should be written to the metadata of the exported file. However, if you've got a document which is using a physical sized unit type (inches, for example) then changing the dpi should not affect its physical size, but would affect the number of pixels in it.

Is your document in pixels or another unit type? :)

Glad you're enjoying Designer and I'm sure we can make it even better for you as time goes on :)

Matt

Thanks for the explanation. I think I understand what you are saying, but it's a tad confusing and may be all tied up with the retina 'feature' that is becoming a PITA  :D

Yes my document is in pixels btw. I need to work in pixels.

With Retina ticked in the document setup.

72 DPI becomes 144 and it shows that the pixel size has increased with retina as a 2x multiplier, see the (grey) result size. And the result of this can be seen when exporting 2x graphics.

So there is something in the background that is recognising the pixel size of an image relative to the DPI change. So I was expected to be able to adjust this manually without having to use the restrictive retina method.

I imagined the 'Rescale' option in AD was the same as 'Resample Image' in Photoplop. ie. when used it changes the pixel dimensions when ppi/dpi is altered. Could AD have this as an option?

Also when using retina an object is reported as 100x100 and a slice of it as 200x200 (which is confusing).  :wacko: 

Hoops

In reality all of this changing document DPI is an effort to get more control over the exporting of objects. I don't want the 'auto renaming' you get with retina and the 1x 2x 3x are too simplistic. So I thought until those limitation go, I'll just change the DPI of the document for each export. But no the retina feature is controlling that too!!!! ARGGGH (jumps through the window in flames)  :P

• Staff

Hi Malcolm,

I'm really sorry about all of this 'hoop-jumping' that you're having to do in order to get better control of your exports.... :(  It has been mentioned before and I've totally agreed that we need to be able to specify arbitrary output dimensions/dpi for each slice in Export Persona and that this change would massively simply all of this process. I'm hoping that this will be next on Ben's list of things to look at, so will not be too far away :)

I'm not totally convinced by the 'retina' checkbox logic at present either - I think it's a good idea but just causes lots of confusion at the moment because there's something about it that's subtly wrong...

With regards to your 'rescale' question - it does do this when dpi is changed, but only if the document is not in pixels... Perhaps this needs an option? (you can get around it by simply changing the units in the same dialog to be inches, then changing dpi, then changing them back to pixels)

Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused at the moment - we will make this better, and hopefully that will be soon. If there are any specifics that I can help with in the meantime, please just say...

Matt

Hey Matt,

Thanks for the encouraging words. It's a testament to the package that despite these issues I'm sticking with it!  :D

Regarding the current work around of changing the pixel dimensions, this would work, however the slices don't scale. So each time you change the size you have to rebuild them. I often have close to 100 so that's not really an option either  :(

I can do 90% of the work using 1x and 2x exports (without retina). I'm exporting at 2x then using adobe bridge to batch rename exports to remove the @x2. Yeah I know.

Really pleased if my input helps shape the package (in some small way).

I have a network of game devs here in Sheffield I want to share AD with but want to wait until the pipeline feels robust for games, really it's that freedom when exporting to allow artists/coders to target any mix of resolutions they wish to use in their game textures/HUD graphics.

A decent art package for indie devs/one man teams has been much needed for years. Photoshop is often seen as too expensive and apps like the Gimp drive you to distraction. ADs mix of vector and raster graphics makes it a perfect choice for small teams developing on the mac. I'll be very happy to sing its praises in those circles.

• 2 weeks later...

Hope it's okay to just jump in here .. :)

Same problem here.

I need to create a 1488px by 2156px document at 300 dpi for newspaper printing.

I had the document sized by pixels, so whatever I did it exported at the correct size, but only at 72 dpi. After reading MattPs answer, I remade the document to be 126mm by 180mm at 300 dpi, so it doesn't use pixels.. but it still exports at 72 dpi.

But why and what can I do to export at above? :)

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.