Does anyone know what this person did at around the 31 second mark. I saw that he converted it to curves, but I don't know what else he did.If anyone knows, please tell me.

Are you asking about the 'Divide' operation? :/

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iOS 12.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

Those blue lines are just selection outlines. You'll see them when you select all four rings with the Move Tool.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iOS 12.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

Hi, Alex mar,

telemax's post might be right that the stroke(s) were expanded. Its also possible that the "donut" ellipses were use. The vid is hard to follow.

Because the tute was going by to fast for you to catch it,  as Alfred mentioned there was a boolean divide operation on the rings. There is a part of the tute where rectangles are being used to boolean subtract from the rings. There is a lot of node position tweaking to get various objects boundaries lined up for better addition. It is displaying how geometric operations can be used to form shapes that are quite refined.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

21 minutes ago, gdenby said:

There is a lot of node position tweaking to get various objects boundaries lined up for better addition.

You don't need much (if any) node position tweaking if you're reasonably careful when setting up the rings to begin with, but you do need to subtract a fifth ring to create the gap between the two small shapes on the left and the two larger shapes on the right.

Alfred online2long.gif