You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Scaling group of elemen and artistic text to pixel

• Staff
43 minutes ago, R C-R said:

The hallmark of a well designed web page is it is accessible to almost everyone, on almost any device, whether they have access to a high speed internet connection or a glacially slow one. Modern browsers provide a plethora of features for that express purpose, like text-only enlargement, zooming and re-rendering, not rendering some elements at all or displaying alternate text-only tags (if the page designer provides them), access to language translation capabilities, rollover speech for the visually impaired, & much more.

That "accessibility" should be provided whenever possible by the code itself - through the myriad CSS features available - the ability to use media queries to target certain breakpoints and set appropriate rules for various devices/widths according to needs (including hiding elements on certain devices, setting different text sizes or serving different images/sizes etc). These are not browser specific features - they are provided by CSS itself. Ideally the browser should provide support for all of them without the user have to rely on browser specific functionality.

3 minutes ago, MEB said:

These are not browser specific features - they are provided by CSS itself.

What other browsers besides Safari allows changing text size independently of page zoom level, or preset zoom levels for specific web sites?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff
12 minutes ago, R C-R said:

What other browsers besides Safari allows changing text size independently of page zoom level, or preset zoom levels for specific web sites?

Not all. That's precisely why the user shouldn't rely on them to be able to use a website - not everyone uses Safari (or whatever browser). CSS alone should be used to set different text sizes/properties and also to scale the page elements accordingly depending on the width/device that's being used. If the web designer did a good job setting text sizes/laying out the pages for different breakpoints/devices the page should be accessible without the need for any zooming or other browser specific functionality.

10 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Pretty much everyone ..

They all can preset zoom levels on a site by site basis?

10 minutes ago, MEB said:

If the web designer did a good job setting text sizes/laying out the pages for different breakpoints/devices the page should be accessible without the need for any zooming or other browser specific functionality.

MEB, have you ever tried to access this web site on an iPhone 5?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

I don't have an iPhone 5 but who said the code on this website was optimised for old browsers or that those browsers support the required CSS features? Not all sites currently work without the need for zooming but that's not the point - they could because there's already code to circumvent these limitations on modern browsers. Have you tried it on a more modern mobile browser?

As i said earlier these tools (zooming etc) are there to overcome page design limitations (or older browser support limitations), for testing or to help overcome disabilities not as solutions/practises to follow.

4 minutes ago, MEB said:

I don't have an iPhone 5 but who said the code on this website was optimised for old browsers or that those browsers support all required CSS features? Not all sites currently work without the need for zooming but that's not the point - they could because there's already code to circumvent these limitations on modern browsers. Have you tried it on a more modern mobile browser?

OK, now I am totally confused. Among other things, I do not know what you mean by "a more modern mobile browser." My iPhone 5 runs the most current version of Safari for iOS there is, so what browser might you be referring to that is more modern than that? I also do not know what you mean by "required CSS features." As I understand it, there is no requirement for a site to use a CSS at all, although most do.

But most of all, I do not understand the point you are trying to make. All I wanted to point out many posts ago was that web page designers have no control over what browser client someone might choose to use for whatever reason(s) are important to them, or over how that client app might be set to or capable of rendering. It seems to me like that has been misunderstood or overlooked or something.

Affinity Photo 

• Staff

I don't have an iPhone 5. I don't know what version of Safari you are running nor the latest iOS supported on the iPhone 5 so i don't know how it renders for you or how optimised it is for mobile browsers.

By CSS features i mean that not all browsers support all CSS specs/rules - for example currently Safari doesn't offer support for CSS overscroll behavior and has limited support for background blend modes (it doesn't support hue, saturation, colour and luminosity blend modes) just to list a couple examples.

I was just replying to your comments - which were already off-topic - to point out that although web designers don't have control over the browser/device being used they have control over the code they write - in particular CSS (among other things) which when fully supported by the browsers, can and should be used to serve pages (and control all layout aspects) to whatever device/browser the user might be using without compromising accessibility and without the need to rely on specific browser functionality - that's what web standards are all about.