You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Image size limitations

I am running filters on some large images -- e.g. 2.4GB -- and Photo is crashing on open. I was hoping that Batch processing might work, but alas no... 

Is the file size limitation due to my RAM limit (16 GB), or perhaps swap space available, or is it a limitation of the application? 

I can send crash logs if that would help determine the answer.

Thank you.

What is the file format of the problem files? Pixel dimensions, layers?

I have processed some 16 GB files but those are Affinity files which tend to be bloated. It may well be that 2.4 GB TIF might be too much... but then AP should handle large files well.

Both tiff and jpg files fail. Image dimensions are sometimes around 35K x 40K, single layer. I create a collage in Affinity Designer then export for further processing in Photo.

It would be entirely reasonable that it's a machine RAM limit, but if it's an app limit I want to start lobbying for a fix before spending money on more RAM (or a new iMac Pro lol).

30000X40000 pixel images should present no problem, even with 16-bit colour. That is 254 cm X 338,67 cm  @ 300 dpi. I also have 16 GB RAM in mid 2012 MBP.

Certainly you should have free disk space enough, check that. Also, it is possible that there is a batch related bug if normal processing works. 

I appreciate your questions that help clarify / narrow down the issue... 

On a 2014 MBP I currently have about 200GB free, out of 1TB on SSD. I generally try to keep 20% free, so this is a bit low, and perhaps too low?  

I had tried batch processing because the app crashed when trying to open the file normally (either File > Open or dragging the image from the Finder to a blank window). 

Last night I made a note to investigate obscure issues like, maybe jpg has a file size limit, or maybe it's Designer writing a bad file (since Preview can't open it either).

The struggle continues. 

If you're curious, here's a 1.7GB file that won't open -- perhaps it opens for you? (I have lots of files that won't open, this is just the smallest one.) 

https://cp.sync.com/dl/4e905b4a0#2z79ph9e-vfrmwyuu-mecqscqd-wt6nhk9g

If anyone from Affinity is tuning in, I've attached a crash log. What's crashing is "Dispatch queue: com.apple.root.default-qos". This Stack Overflow post might have some clues as to what's going on:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/27948618/consistent-dispatch-queue-com-apple-root-default-qos-overcommit-crash 

affinity-photo-crash-log.txt.zip

5 hours ago, notio said:

If you're curious, here's a 1.7GB file that won't open -- perhaps it opens for you?

Attempting to open your 01IMG_0319-4x2-share.jpg not only crashes my copy of Affinity Photo but just trying to view it with Apple's Quick View (by tapping the spacebar with the file selected in Finder) opens the QV window but after about 20 seconds of the 'wait' spinner, I get this:

error.png.047c919e8b56fa157501f635295ffc28.png

Trying to open it in Preview app also generates a 'wait' spinner for ~20 seconds or so, after which it does open. However, attempting to zoom in or out causes Preview to stall for about 45 seconds, after which I get something like this:

preview.png.1b681c2c940b7a591008d06c80216c7e.png

At this point, according to Activity Monitor neither Preview nor any other app or process is using excessive CPU time or memory. Preview still responds immediately if I open any of its menu items, & even the Magnifier loop thing works to show part of the jpg image, although it is sluggish.

So while I am only guessing, it would seem there is something about this file that the system, not just Affinity Photo, cannot cope with.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thank you for running this experiment and confirming my experience (with Photo as well as QuickLook and Preview). I have lots of files like these, not just this one.

So I recreated it in Designer, and exported a tiff version. This 2.66 GB tif version, 43712 x 34620, opens just fine in Photo (and Preview, et al). 

In order to keep my workflow going I'm just going to work with the tif files for a while and see what develops. But it's curious that Designer exports a 1.7 GB jpg that Photo cannot open, but will also export a 2.7 GB tif that Photo can open. There have been tifs that have not opened, so it's not a settled issue just yet... Maybe if I get the time I'll run some Designer export tests.

Thanks to @Fixx and @R C-R for help debugging. 

Just for an info:

1TB HD when formated shows 930 GB. Microsoft recomends at least 10% free space, so you can fill the disk up to 837 GB.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)