You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Flaming Pear Plugins Giving Strange Results

Hi

I have just tried 4 plugins from flaming pear and they all give strange results like in the picture attached, I've used these plugins in photoshop years ago and this is not how they work.

I'm not sure if its the plugins or Affinity Photo beta thats at fault here.

Just thought I'd mention it.

Adrian

post-1999-0-39159400-1423598745_thumb.jpg

My impression is that the Flaming Pear plugins are old as Methusalem and it is almost a miracle that they would still work in Photoshop. It does not surprise me that there might be issues in a program with a whole new code base.

:D That's true. It's a nostalgia thing. I was actually surprised to see them still available.

• 1 year later...

I was able to get "part" of Flaming Pear's "Superblade Pro" to work on selected pixel data, but unable to get it to work right on some rasterized text.  It produced text that was similar to the image at the top of this post.  I have written to flaming pear, just asking about this. 

• Staff

Hi spurious,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Yes, there's some issues running Flaming Pear plug-ins in Affinity Photo. The problem may be also on our side. Photoshop plug-ins support is still being worked on and some plug-ins simply don't run, may crash or work partially. This should improve as we move forward. Thanks for writing to Flaming Pear asking about this. Users questions/interest helps to get their attention and support.

In Photo MAS 1.4.1 both Flexify 2 and Flood 2 give me the same "diagonal lines only" result as Adrian.  In Beta 1.4.2 B5, the name of the plugin will appear in the History list but that is absolutely the only thing that does happen.  The plugin control panel does not appear.  Nothing.  Just the name in the History list.  I've written FlamingPear asking for native versions for Affinity but I don't have much hopes of that.  Those two plugins...especially Flexify...are really the only effects (that I use) that I can't at least "sort-of" duplicate in Affinity.  If those worked, I'd prolly never open PS again.  

Uh, any idea what might have changed in the Beta?  Or is that only me?  I'm still clinging to Mountain Lion and I've gotten weird results on other occasions.

I guess Mountain Lion nipped me again.  After a bunch of trying this and trying that, both plugins are "not working" as well in Photo Beta as they "not worked" in MAS.  In other words, I now get nothing but equally unusable diagonal lines from them in both programs.  I really ought to just give up on those...sigh.

Ha!  Genius!  That works.  I seem to be getting a bit better result with Selection From Layer though. It works for both Flexify 2 and Flood 2 but I can only do one at a time.  If I try to use them both...I was just trying to see if they would both work, although on different layers...whichever is the second one will lock up APhoto.  So thanks for your solution.  I don't think that would have ever occurred to me.

I remember Flaming Pear plugins causing problems in PhotoPlus 8.0 about a decade ago. Support for them was added in a patch, but Serif had to reverse that in the next patch because it broke something else.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

The only one I ever used much was Flexify.  It does some interesting things if the image has enough angles and spaces.  I like what it can do to some Flame Fractals as well.  I don't use it that often. It isn't appropriate that often but I'd really miss it if I couldn't run it anywhere.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.