You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity 1.4.1 no longer opens

Since I downloaded a trial of the latest version of affinity my existing version will no longer open. This is a problem because the trial software has expired and I want to see if I should purchase this while the special offer is valid. So now I cannot look at the trial (expired) and I cannot open version 1.4.1 which worked fine previously. I don't want to buy software that doesn't work. Since I last asked this question I have re-installed the mac os and still it will not open. Has anyone any idea? Could I get another trial? 

You don't say which Affinity product, Photo or Designer. Serif, the owners of this website, can not give you another trial because your original trial and all your licensing is with Apple. You could try contacting them.

Why do you think it wont work ? It works for everybody on this website as long as you have an up to date version. 1.6 being current. 

An alternative workaround would be to trial Serifs sister product. If you originally trialled Photo, download a trial of Designer or vice versa. Any file you create in one, can be edited in the other.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

16 minutes ago, toltec said:

Serif, the owners of this website, can not give you another trial

Serif announced that the trial would be reset once the 1.6 retail versions were released, but I don't know whether they have done this yet.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

15 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Serif announced that the trial would be reset once the 1.6 retail versions were released, but I don't know whether they have done this yet.

What, for the Mac?

That's interesting.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

9 hours ago, Alice Jones said:

Since I downloaded a trial of the latest version of affinity my existing version will no longer open.

Is your "existing version" something you bought? If so, which app is it?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

The existing version is Affinity Photo 1.4.1 which my husband installed on his macbook and seemed to work fine. I downloaded a trial from serif as I didn't know about the mac store (I used windows before, my husband died last year). I can no longer open it to see whether an update is available but there seems to have been a conflict between the two versions that I can't resolve. I read that the trials had been re-set but when I downloaded another trial I was told it had expired.

I don't know where my husband bought Affinity: I have a box for Lightroom with a serial number but nothing like that for Affinity and I can't open it to find out more....

My copy of photoshop and my pc are both obsolete which is why I wanted to look at Affinity. Sorry if I'm explaining it badly, I'm not very technical.

• Staff

Hi Alice Jones,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The trial shouldn't affect the retail version installed from the Mac App Store in any way (they are totally independent apps). If your husband has bought it you are entitled to free updates until version 2.0. So to update the existing version 1.4.1, open the Mac App Store app, click the Updates tab on top, the click the Update button in front of Affinity Photo on the list below. Just make sure you are signed-in in the Mac App Store with the same AppleID used to buy the application originally.

We only sell the Mac versions through the Mac App Store which don't require any serial number/product key. The downloaded app already includes an encrypted invoice file needed to authorise/run the app. Let me know if you still have trouble or are unable to see the update  in the Updates tab on the Mac App Store.

If you know the Apple ID & password your husband used to purchase Affinity Photo, you should be able to update the Mac version on the MacBook as MEB explained. But the licenses for the Windows & Mac versions are separate products, so if you want to use Affinity Photo on a Windows computer you will need to buy the Windows version separately.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 minutes ago, Alice Jones said:

Thanks everyone. I changed the apple id when I started using the mac because I didn't know my husbands password. Looks like I will have to buy it again :-/

I just sent you a private message about this. It may help you recover his Apple ID password.

Affinity Photo