You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Missing some illustrator tools

Hi people.
I ever use adobe illustrator for my job, but the affinity designer showed a incredible software and a great promise.
But unfortunately i've been missing  some tools I did not find in the Affinity Designer. 

Could they help me know if these tools exist in Affinity?

Tool 1: Blend Tool.
In the adobe illustrato exist the possibility to blend forms and linde, creating interpolation between the forms. Is there something similar in the Affinity Designer ?

Tool 2: Aling to Key Object

Tool 3: Width Tool 
In the Illustrator existe the possibility to thicken and taper the lines in the drawing. On the Affinity Designer, the only option I found for this would be the pressure panel. 
Is there the possibility to control this effect straight in line? 

At first these are my main doubts.
Thank you to anyone who can help me!

Fernando Constant

Hello Fernando Constant, and welcome to the Affinity forum.

1. The Blend Tool is listed on the feature roadmap, so it is planned to arrive some time before the first paid update.

2. You can set alignment in the Snapping drop-down menu. 59cfa0b97f27e_ScreenShot2017-09-30at9_50_21AM.png.224893fc3afad39428911128951d0d75.png

3. The Width Tool in Illustrator is certainly handy. The only other way to change weight variation than to use the Pressure panel is to set the Controller of either the Pencil or Brush Tool to Pressure or Velocity.

For that last option, I think it would be a great idea for Affinity to consider something similar to the Pump Tool in The TAB animation software. See here. The Pressure tab is useful, but I find profiling easier to do it manually.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

On 9/30/2017 at 8:59 AM, Bri-Toon said:

For that last option, I think it would be a great idea for Affinity to consider something similar to the Pump Tool in The TAB animation software. See here. The Pressure tab is useful, but I find profiling easier to do it manually.

Wow! I couldn't turn off that video - had to watch the whole thing. Could not believe all those curve/line manipulation features! Hmmm.

♥  WIN 10 AD & AP  ♥  Lenovo Legion Y520 15.6" Laptop

Oh yes, I was quite impressed the first time I saw that video. Clip Studio Paint can do a lot of similar operations as well, but it is certainly not user friendly. Link

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

19 hours ago, owenr said:

Inkscape has some tremendous curve tools, too.

@owenr do you use inkscape for these extreme curve features and then re-open in AD? Or are you just aware of those features? Wondering if it is worth considering using both inkscape and AD or if that is more trouble than the features are worth (until AD catches up).  I know inkscape is often mentioned here for its raster to vector Trace capability. But normally I just Pen-Tool my scans. Hmm, have we hijacked a thread here? Sorry.

♥  WIN 10 AD & AP  ♥  Lenovo Legion Y520 15.6" Laptop

Worth noting, Inkscape is more compatible on Windows. The Mac version requires Xquarts, and even then, the Inkscape menus are not available. This was for my experience anyway, so I never really got to fully test the program.

12 minutes ago, jer said:

Hmm, have we hijacked a thread here? Sorry.

Uh yes, perhaps we did. Sorry about that.

On 26/09/2017 at 8:39 PM, Fernando Constant said:

Tool 2: Align to Key Object

Version 1.6 (currently available as a customer beta release) includes options to align to the first or last selected object.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

44 minutes ago, owenr said:

The program would be almost useless without the menus. Here's a screenshot of the menus on a Mac - they are at the top of the app window instead of in the macOS menu bar.

That would explain why the Xquarts menus would not disappear at all while I had Inkscape's window in use, but I think I would've noticed if the menus were on the interface. However, I am quite happy with the tools in Designer, but it is good to know that Inkscape has advanced curve options.

Just so we don't keep invading this topic, Owenr, I'm gonna send a question to you on your profile if you don't mind.