You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I know there are lots of topics created by people requesting specific functionality from adobe PS. One thing that I particularly like and I do mis in nearly all other imaging editing software (including Lightroom) I've tried is smart sharpening. The sharpening algorithm leads to better results and you'll get blending options to prevent clipping due to sharpening. Of course you can apply this filter as a smart-filter so you'll keep a nondestructive work-flow.

I would really like to see this feature in both the iPad and MacOS versions

• 3 months later...

I´m sorry to bump this thread, I really hope something similar to smart-sharpening will be implemented soon in Affinity. Maybe a first step would be to implement something like the 'threshold' feature from lightroom in the RAW persona. All the necessary functionality is in place as far as I know (same as frequency seperation?), but this makes it more accessible.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/2/2017 at 4:06 AM, Allan_D said:

You can accomplish all this by using an unsharp mask live adjustment layer, adjusting the blending options on that layer, and using an edge mask to confine the sharpening to the edges.

I’m talking about the sharpeming algorithm itself. The smart sharpen algortithm (lens blur)in PS is much better in terms of results than the standard unsharp mask one.  

On 2017. 12. 02. at 4:06 AM, Allan_D said:

You can accomplish all this by using an unsharp mask live adjustment layer, adjusting the blending options on that layer, and using an edge mask to confine the sharpening to the edges.

Threshold would work in the sharpening ("Detail Refinement") done on RAW in develop persona where you don't have masking.

Plus edge masks are not dynamic, you need to recreate them whenever the underlying layers change. BTW would be cool to have dynamic edge masking for other purposes as well.

• 4 weeks later...

I understand that Smart Sharpen in PS is a form of the deconvolution algorithm. Are there any plans to add deconvolution to Affinity's arsenal?

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

• 3 years later...