You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

"I want to select the inner area and fill with white..."

If you want the hole in the "g" to be white, it would be very easy to draw an ellipse in it. Group the 2 vectors so they move as 1 if need be. Then add a pixel layer, and paint away.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

"I want to select the inner area and fill with white..."

If you want the hole in the "g" to be white, it would be very easy to draw an ellipse in it. Group the 2 vectors so they move as 1 if need be. Then add a pixel layer, and paint away.

I am very sorry but basically I recognise what you say but without the minor details I am stumped.

"Group the Vectors"?

The oval does not fit 'exact' and adjustment handles do not allow me to make it fit.

Regards.    Sharkey

MacPro (late 2013), 24Gb Ram, D300GPU, Eizo 24",1TB Samsung 850 Archive, 2x2Tb Time Machine,X-t2 plus 50-140mm & 18-55mm. AP, FRV & RawFile Converter (Silkypix).

Well, that looks very good. :)

Keep at it.

Remember to work big when you paint. You can easily downsize.

Thank you.

Must say that it is more by luck than judgement.

Regards.   Sharkey

MacPro (late 2013), 24Gb Ram, D300GPU, Eizo 24",1TB Samsung 850 Archive, 2x2Tb Time Machine,X-t2 plus 50-140mm & 18-55mm. AP, FRV & RawFile Converter (Silkypix).

I am very sorry but basically I recognise what you say but without the minor details I am stumped.

"Group the Vectors"?

The oval does not fit 'exact' and adjustment handles do not allow me to make it fit.

Regards.    Sharkey

Can you attach your *.afphoto file here? It might be easier to offer specific advice if we could see exactly what you're working with.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

"Group the Vectors"?

Regards.    Sharkey

I've assumed the "g" is a letterform with some fx to make it look 3-d w. a drop shadow.  So still a vector, but with some pixel shading. The ellipse will also be a vector. If those are grouped, both can easily be moved around the background image.

I d-loaded the image you posted, and found that a regular ellipse does not fit into the hole. Very close, but no cigar. So I converted the ellipse to curves, and using the node tool to move the existing nodes, and adding 4 others to tweak the shape, came up w. a pretty good fit.

post-34886-0-33202800-1499360671_thumb.jpg

If the "g" is already rasterized, then rasterize the infilling ellipse shape, and merge down.

PS, I'm a completely amateur photographer. Maybe someday you can give me some pointers.

PPS, In the Lord of the Rings, Sharky is slang for old man. 

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

"Group the Vectors"?

Regards. Sharkey

If the handles do not allow you to make it fit, have you got snapping on?

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Incidentally. Did you say you wanted to fill the inside of the letter? It is transparent. Put something solid behind it so it shows through the hole

post-59234-0-92054400-1499412264_thumb.png

Incidentally. Did you say you wanted to fill the inside of the letter? It is transparent. Put something solid behind it so it shows through the hole

I am trying to make the 'G' more cartoonish by painting in an 'eye'.

The white is supposed to be the start of that process followed by a brown and black circle with highlights. simple really :(

I just cannot get my head around paint layers/pixel layers/adjustment layers. The whole damned thing is really teeing me off.

Such a simple thing in my head and can I do it? No!

Oops. In Serif language, got it a bit wrong there.

Never mind 

Regards.   Sharkey

I've assumed the "g" is a letterform with some fx to make it look 3-d w. a drop shadow.  So still a vector, but with some pixel shading. The ellipse will also be a vector. If those are grouped, both can easily be moved around the background image.

I d-loaded the image you posted, and found that a regular ellipse does not fit into the hole. Very close, but no cigar. So I converted the ellipse to curves, and using the node tool to move the existing nodes, and adding 4 others to tweak the shape, came up w. a pretty good fit.

attachicon.gifTwoInfills.jpg

If the "g" is already rasterized, then rasterize the infilling ellipse shape, and merge down.

PS, I'm a completely amateur photographer. Maybe someday you can give me some pointers.

PPS, In the Lord of the Rings, Sharky is slang for old man. 

Really pleased you pointed that out.

It is not enough to feel decrepit and distinctly out of my depth (about 1") but you have topping out Sharky in LOTR :(

Lucky my name is "Sharkey". Totally different!

Regards.   Sharkey

I am trying to make the 'G' more cartoonish by painting in an 'eye'.

The white is supposed to be the start of that process followed by a brown and black circle with highlights. simple really :(

I just cannot get my head around paint layers/pixel layers/adjustment layers. The whole damned thing is really teeing me off.

An alternative would be to turn the "g" into two objects. Select the "g" then go Layer > Geometry > Divide, then you can use the "hole", which is now a shape, as the basis of the eye. Do what you want to it, then re-position it over the "g".

This might help you understand layers?  It is basically correct although slightly simplified to make it easier to grasp. I hope. :unsure:

Pixel layer: What a picture or painting is on. The core part of any photo editing program. (a "paint layer" would be the same). 

Image layer. The same as a pixel layer, (more or less)

Adjustment layer.  A layer that sits above and modifies a pixel layer. Makes it lighter, darker, more colorful, black & white etc..

Live Filter layer: Like an adjustment layer (above) but modifies the pixel layer by applying a blur, sharpening or similar

Mask layer: A layer that hides part of a pixel layer. A bit like erasing, but you can retrieve the masked bits if ever you need. A mask layer can also hide part of an adjustment or filter layer so that the adjustment only affects part of the pixel layer. Effectively erasing part of the adjustment.

Curve layer. Something with a vector drawing on. Where your "g" is once you convert it to curves.

Text layer. er, Text

Image layer. The same as a pixel layer, (more or less)

The crucial difference is that an image layer contains a single object but a pixel layer contains a collection of pixels. You can only resize, rotate or skew an image layer, but all of the image data is retained (so, for example, shrinking the layer and then stretching it back to its original size doesn't give you the blocky result you would get if pixels were discarded at the first step). If you want to copy or erase selected pixels, or do any other work at the pixel level, you need to right-click the image layer in the Layers panel and choose 'Rasterize...' to turn it into a pixel layer.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)