You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

This might be a silly question but,

I noticed there's no such thing as 'Pattern Swatch' in Affinity Designer. 

I see that you can only save 'color' or 'gradient' swatches.

Or am I wrong?

I know that you can use bitmap as fill, but when I try to use a (halftone) pattern that I created, the filled image is blurry, not razor sharp.

I'm still learning to use 'Affinity Designer' and so far I love it.

I hope there's a way to go about creating a pattern swatch.

Thanks!

- Maya

Freelance web designer located in San Diego, CA, USA

Portfolio site: http://www.mayahan.net

Art and design blog: Design MInt

Here are a number of "notes" I have taken from the forum concerning AD patterns and maybe they will lead you to an answer:

Repeat Fill Pattern Adjustments

Q: For a simple repeating pattern that is 100px square, I would like to use to fill a rectangle that is the full size of my project. However when I use fill tool > bitmap and select the pattern, it fills the whole rectangle by scaling up the image rather than repeating it.

A: When you place the bitmap you get two adjustment handles, one on the top edge and one on the right edge. To get the repeat, move the handles inward until you get the desired repetition effect. A button in the context toolbar that looks like a lock with two lines locks the aspect ratio so if you move one handle the other automatically moves to maintain it.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Create Pattern or Import AI Pattern

Q: 1. Is there a way to create a pattern as a fill color other than to create a separated file or a symbol and repeat it manually? 2. How to open/import ai files which include a path filled with a pattern. (When i open a ai file includes pattern fill, it seems it converts pattern to bitmap and pixelated which i dont want and i can't manipulate the pattern.)

A: 1. Yes for raster based patterns. With an object (shape) selected change to the Gradient Tool, select Bitmap from the Type dropdown on the context toolbar right above the work area and pick the image you want to use as a pattern. You can control it through the handles on canvas and options from the context toolbar.

2. We don't support vector based patterns from Illustrator.

Seamless Repeating Patterns Easy Using Symbols

Symbols Tool makes it soooo easy to create seamless repeating pattern in AD. See how in this YouTube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsSmx1XcB8A&feature=youtu.be

Fill Text Letters with a Bitmap Image or Pattern

To use a watercolour or other texture/image inside the letters, select the text object, change to the Fill Tool, then go to the context toolbar and change the Type to Bitmap. Select the image/texture you want to use from the dialog that will open and adjust it if needed with the canvas controls and the options provided by the context toolbar. You can then save it as an object style (with the object selected) going to the menu on the top right of the Styles panel and choosing Add Style from Selection.

Easy Alternate: Just drag the image "into" the text for filling it. It can seem tricky at first, but once one gets the hang of it, it is quick and easy. This method uses the text as a clipping object so it prevents creating a future-usable object style because it will not include the image/texture. This may not be an issue if you use this effect rarely (like old-style travel postcards) or your images change every project so no need to save as an object style.

Make repeating patterns or tiles in Affinity

In Illustrator I set up a square artboard (say 8"), place a motif, and then I can double-click the selection arrow. A pop up allows me to make a copy of the motif and place it precisely 8" to the right or above or below. Once I have all my motifs placed, I make a square (no fill, no stroke), place it at the back of the layers, and select all. Drag these into my swatches and I have a new pattern that seamlessly fills any size object I create. See sample tile. Is there a way to do something similar in Affinity?

Create the seamless tile without manually measuring and moving each and every element by entering calculations in the boxes on the Transform panel. If you have an 8" square with an object overhanging the left-hand edge, you just need to duplicate the object and set the X value for the duplicate to +=8" or +=8in (or simply +=8 if your measurement units are already set to inches). You can do a similar thing with the Y value for an object which overhangs the top edge of the square, or use negative values if the objects overhang the right-hand or bottom edges. Then Select the tile objects, choose 'File > Export...' and then choose the appropriate 'Area' option in the Export Settings dialog. Export with a 'non-lossy' format such as PNG or TIFF and, if you really need a BMP, then use another app to convert your exported file to BMP.

Having created the seamless tile, export it as an image. Select a shape on the canvas, choose the Fill Tool, go to the Context toolbar and set the type to 'Bitmap'; when you do this, a dialog will pop up so that you can browse to the exported tile image. Use the node handles on the fill to adjust its position, size, shape and rotation as desired.

♥  WIN 10 AD & AP  ♥  Lenovo Legion Y520 15.6" Laptop

Wow, thanks, Jer! :)

I have tried all those techniques that were mentioned but my pattern still looks blurry. 

Only one thing left that I could try is to export the pattern as 'TIFF'.
'PNG' format still didn't work so great.

I think AD developers should really look into implementing 'Pattern swatch' option next time around. 

Freelance web designer located in San Diego, CA, USA

Portfolio site: http://www.mayahan.net

Art and design blog: Design MInt

Wow, thanks, Jer! :)

I have tried all those techniques that were mentioned but my pattern still looks blurry. 

Only one thing left that I could try is to export the pattern as 'TIFF'.

'PNG' format still didn't work so great.

I think AD developers should really look into implementing 'Pattern swatch' option next time around. 

1. "...but my pattern still looks blurry..."  I assume you mean looks good in AD but looks blurry after exporting. Consider starting a new post in the Questions & Feedback category of this form and ask if anyone can help. Include your computer type, OS info, and AD version number. Upload your AD .afdesign file for members to look at. Uploading in a post is a 3-step operation: Before you finish your post, Click More Options (or is it Advanced Options?), Click Browse to identify your .afdesign file on your hard drive, then click Upload. You will see a thumbnail appear in your post with the file name.

2. "...I think AD developers should really look into implementing 'Pattern swatch' option next time around."

Re-post this request in the Feature Requests category of this forum. Include your computer type, OS info, and AD version number.

When you go to the base Forum address https://forum.affinity.serif.com/  you will see both these categories listed within the top 4 categories.

♥  WIN 10 AD & AP  ♥  Lenovo Legion Y520 15.6" Laptop

I'm a bit perplexed. If you have used the method shown in the repeating patterns by using symbols, you should be able get an .svg file that will have no blur. 

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet