You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hey!

I'm trying to design an ad in Affinity Designer... 

I've got an TIFF image in the project... when selected it gets the blue frame around it so it can be resized etc... But is there any way to crop the image, by dragging the frame? (like in InDesign) or mask it? (like in Apple Pages). 
Or would that mean having to go into Affinity Photo to crop it? (I hate having to switch between apps when designing, and it would also mean an additional file littering my harddrive...)

Thanks!

• Staff

Hi DmitriZigany,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Select the image, change to the Crop Tool and drag the small rectangle handles around it to masks the image (you can access/see the mask layer if you expand the cropped object layer in the Layers panel). Note that in Designer the Crop Tool is object based rather than document based. This means you are not cropping the document "canvas", just the image object (the document dimensions will remain the same).

Only Affinity Photo's Crop Tool is document based where usually all the document is a single photo, whereas in Designer the images are usually composed/part of a layout.

Or would that mean having to go into Affinity Photo to crop it? (I hate having to switch between apps when designing, and it would also mean an additional file littering my harddrive...)

Just FYI, you can seamlessly switch back & forth between Designer & Photo (using File > Edit in Photo/Designer) if you have both apps. There is no need to save an extra file. Either app will open files created by the other one: the .afphoto & .afdesign file extensions just specify the default app that opens the document if you double-click it, but the file format is identical for both extensions. You can even manually change the extension from .afdesign to .afphoto or visa versa if you want (but of course it is best to do that when the document is not open).

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 3 weeks later...