You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Nutty Squirrel Games logo/illo

retrograde

Hey all, here's my latest all vector Designer character. 

A fun, cheeky and a little "nutty" cartoon squirrel character created for Nutty Squirrel Games, a client in San Francisco.

Also, I decided it was time for a refresh on my Forum avatar.

Love working on these types of illos in Designer!! 

post-305-0-62718700-1492900883_thumb.png

post-305-0-09075200-1492900886_thumb.png

post-305-0-20128500-1492900889_thumb.png

post-305-0-63610600-1492900891_thumb.png

post-305-0-24202900-1492900895_thumb.png

• 3 weeks later...

Sweet (or nutty)! Nice work. Great looking character, looks solid and readable at a small size (at least on my computer screen).

This is the type of work I'd love to do one day, creating mascots and logos for cleints. How did you get started in this field if you don't mind me asking?

Cheers,

George

eejits: a curious collection o' creatures - www.eejits-online.co.uk 

SUPPORT eejits on PATREON. Exclusive Content & Rewards available! www.patreon.com/eejits

Get some awesome unique eejits merchandise at https://www.eejits-online.co.uk/shop

That's a nutty squirrel, all right. One eye and brow open, the other squinty. I can just see that little guy doing mischief. Nicely done!

@George: If you did the worm on your avatar (that I've admired on your posts) you are on your way to great vector characters already.

♥  WIN 10 AD & AP  ♥  Lenovo Legion Y520 15.6" Laptop

That's a nutty squirrel, all right. One eye and brow open, the other squinty. I can just see that little guy doing mischief. Nicely done!

@George: If you did the worm on your avatar (that I've admired on your posts) you are on your way to great vector characters already.

Cheers jer!

Look for my post labelled 'eejits' (on page 3 or 4 in this forum just now) and you can see my cartoon creature creations - all created in Designer. I would love to be able to develop my skills towards client work where I created mascots for companies. I'm just not there yet, I feel. Still practicing. Still practicing.

George

SUPPORT eejits on PATREON. Exclusive Content & Rewards available! www.patreon.com/eejits

Get some awesome unique eejits merchandise at https://www.eejits-online.co.uk/shop

Hi George and jer, thanks for those comments! Yes we were going for that slightly nutty/mischievous look.

I have been doing character/mascot work like this for awhile now, it's tricky to recall when it started... I always start out with a series of sketches to get the right pose or mood so a lot of the work is done in pencil form figuring out the right personality for each character and getting client approval before moving to digital.

I purchased a few good books on character design and I watch videos on character artists workflows and tricks of the trade.

I lean on the Warner Bros/Looney Tunes side as far as style preference or inspiration. I was brought up in the Duck Dodgers era ;-)

Thanks for getting back to us. You've got a great solid looking style, I can see why clients would choose you for their brand's identity. Keep up the crackin' work!

Cheers,

George

P.S. Any secrets on where's the best place to find clients looking for mascot work/character design?

Don't mean to derail your thread with my continual questioning.....

P.S. Any secrets on where's the best place to find clients looking for mascot work/character design?

Hi George, no worries on the questions. I love to share whatever I can with anyone who asks. :-)

No secrets really from me on getting character work... I've just been lucky I guess and once you do a few and they get out there people find them especially on Behance by doing a search for character or character design. 

If I were you I would start creating some and post the ones you really feel represent the type and style you'd like to do more of and eventually you'll get noticed and most likely a few will want something similar. Post on art forums and places where prospective clients might be searching.

If you don't already I'd suggest signing up to Behance and start creating a portfolio. I've been pretty fortunate with inquiries from my page.

Let me know if you have any more questions. 

Cheers!

I have done one piece of mascot work before, doing a Penguin character for a local museum, but I only got that job because I was local and they saw my eejits work (I assume).

I'd love to get into more further afield client work and have a go at making it work (and pay) full time.

Thanks for the tips and letting me hijack yer thread.

George

Cheers!

I have done one piece of mascot work before, doing a Penguin character for a local museum, but I only got that job because I was local and they saw my eejits work (I assume).

I'd love to get into more further afield client work and have a go at making it work (and pay) full time.

Thanks for the tips and letting me hijack yer thread.

George

You bet George and good luck!

Hey Kevin,

The vector blends and gradients on your squirrel; are there examples of that technique in the Affinity Designer Workbook by you or other artists?

Hi James, after a quick look there is some of that on page 250 where I explain the shading/highlighting I used on the barrel element from my wine cellar piece. Also page 275 where Jonathan Ball explains how he did the eyeballs for his fisherman piece. There's probably more examples in the book I'm sure.

There is also a lengthy step by step tutorial I did about a year or so ago for Envato of a Cowboy dog character done in Designer that shows multiple examples of this technique. Here is a link to the thread discussing it here in the forums:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/19509-new-affinity-designer-tutorial-cowboy-dog-character-beer-label/

Thanks James, yes it is a long one. It's almost every single click explained... a ton of work to complete. 

I have huge respect for people that do tutorials for a living. :-)

I'm 75% finished with your beer Label tutorial—excuse me, tome—and I have a question:

How do I determine if a closed shape has Transparency Tool (Y key) applied?

I don't mean I wanna see the on-screen Gizmo to adjust the Transparency, I wanna know if there's a palette or menu item telling me that X object has Transparency applied or not. Illustrator has an attributes pallet. Is there an equivalent in AD?

As far as I can tell, the only way in AD to determine if a selected object has Transparency applied is to select the Transparency Tool (Y key) and consult the Tool Shelf on the upper left of the UI. It is here were I can determine which type of transparency effect is applied, change it and remove it. Does anyone know of a different way?

As far as I can tell, the only way in AD to determine if a selected object has Transparency applied is to select the Transparency Tool (Y key) and consult the Tool Shelf on the upper left of the UI. It is here were I can determine which type of transparency effect is applied, change it and remove it. Does anyone know of a different way?

Yeah I think that's it James.