You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm trying to achieve the shading he did to the light house as shown here at 13:22

https://youtu.be/gXrOylKL4JE?t=802

Typically this can be done by drawing two rectangles and subclassing one inside the and giving it a different color/transparency.

However since the light house is a bunch of other shapes grouped together, subclassing the rectangle that I want to use as a shade only puts it inside the group instead of masking it.

Any idea how I can achieve this?

Howdy, I put together a quick little 3 minute video showing how to do it the way it was done in that youtube example.

Ohhh, thanks a lot for the effort :)

For some reason drawing a black rectangle didn't work out for me on my first attempt. So I just copied the whole shape, gave it 50% opacity and used the crop tool to make it half the original shape's width. I guess both methods work.

Nice work,and without a "I want skratz my earz off sound trak."

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Sorry for the useless thread -.-

I wouldn't call it useless,some other person may have had a similar problem and would benefit from it ;) . And I like some flat designs,funny how it's a very popular trend now to have either mute or bright colours and less detail,but it looks good on most designs ive seen.

Thanks for the comments on my little tutorial, if you can call it that. I usually use my Vimeo Plus account for private matters but have occasionally used it for more public things like fast videos for forums. I tell you, using ScreenFlow with Vimeo is the fastest, most pain free way of making video tutorials. I spent 3 minutes recording myself, reviewed the video for 3 minutes and then clicked the send to Vimeo option for export. Then Vimeo spent about 3 minutes processing the video and I copied the link for it and posted it here in the forum. So, it was all done in 9 minutes time.

retrograde, yeah, black is not really my first choice for shadows either! I do prefer this method of adding shadows rather than using that duplicate and crop method because you have more flexibility. With the rectangle you can add a fx gaussian blur to it so that it is a softer shadow, or you can modify the shape. Take that rectangle and convert to curves and use the node tool to add points and shape it how you want.  

Thanks for the comments on my little tutorial, if you can call it that. I usually use my Vimeo Plus account for private matters but have occasionally used it for more public things like fast videos for forums. I tell you, using ScreenFlow with Vimeo is the fastest, most pain free way of making video tutorials. I spent 3 minutes recording myself, reviewed the video for 3 minutes and then clicked the send to Vimeo option for export. Then Vimeo spent about 3 minutes processing the video and I copied the link for it and posted it here in the forum. So, it was all done in 9 minutes time.

retrograde, yeah, black is not really my first choice for shadows either! I do prefer this method of adding shadows rather than using that duplicate and crop method because you have more flexibility. With the rectangle you can add a fx gaussian blur to it so that it is a softer shadow, or you can modify the shape. Take that rectangle and convert to curves and use the node tool to add points and shape it how you want.  

That video process sounds pretty sweet. I will have to give it a go sometime. Thanks for sharing.