You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Will there be brush creation capabilities in the future and...?

Just wondering if there will be more development in the brushes area of the Photos program?  I am primarily an illustrator and right now I use mostly Corel Painter.  I love Affinity Designer and would love to use Affinity Photo in place of how I now use Photoshop but as an aside i was wondering if I could import photoshop brushes or if there will be more development in the brushes part of Photo.  Thanks for any info on this.

In Designer, its already possible to import photoshop brushes. So I'm pretty sure Photo does it as well.

I used to use Corel Painter. Its focus then was on making imitations of various traditional media. That is not the focus of either Photo or Designer, tho they do a pretty good job.

A few days ago, over in the "Share your work" part of the forum user Charlychuck showed some rather surprising effects painting with a freely available brush. And, lots of other nice work shown in that section using the painting features.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

See for example: Import ABR Photoshop brushes into Affinity Photo tutorial - If you do a google search etc. you will find additional tutorials, also how to make your own brushes for Affinity Photo!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

For some brush creation tutorials see:

Also take a look into the Affinity Photo application's help system under:  Affinity Photo Help ▸ Painting and Erasing ▸ Creating custom brushes.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

On ‎15‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 11:04 PM, Jens Krebs said:

You might also want to have a look here, a set of more than 150 brushes (raster & vector), created and sold by one of our forum members, that gives you a decent overview about whats possible to do brush-wise with Designer and

photo:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/21273-150-vector-brushes-for-affinity-designer/

There were originally 150 brushes in the set, but a month ago Jef doubled the number, as noted in his post here.

On ‎16‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 0:06 AM, michaelws said:

will those brushes work with A Photo as well as A Designer?  Looks great.  Thanks Jen.

The vector brushes only work in the Draw Persona in Affinity Designer. The raster brushes work in the Pixel Persona in either application.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I decided to purchase Affinity Photo...knowing I can import.  Now I will look at the possibilities of custom brush creation within Affinity.  I will hold on to photoshop until i am certain I can make my own within Photo.  Thanks again 

Follow the links in this post from brush wizard Paolo Limoncelli. sorcerer.gif

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)