You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi Mr.K,

You'll need to open each file as Affinity Designer reads the embedded PDF that AI includes in the file (If the option was enabled when it was saved in AI). Designer also doesn't have any batch open/convert options.

• 5 years later...
7 hours ago, Mr. K said:

Five years later I'm visiting this again. A batch convert would be helpful.

Well ADe has still none, but in case you have APh you can try it's "Batch Job" (aka: File > New Batch Job ...") conversion for Ai -> APh files. The later ( *.afphoto files can be opened with ADe too.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

I'm not sure I understand the benefit of doing a batch conversion like that.

You'll still need to Open each file individually to see if the conversion was successful, as there are many things that could be in an AI file that won't be handled properly by Affinity. So why not just Open each, check it, fix it if needed, and Save?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I'm not sure I understand the benefit of doing a batch conversion like that.

You'll still need to Open each file individually to see if the conversion was successful, as there are many things that could be in an AI file that won't be handled properly by Affinity. So why not just Open each, check it, fix it if needed, and Save?

The value is I want them all to be saved as Designer files instead of the .ai files they are now. An .ai file is useless to me. At least a Designer file will open in Designer. Affinity Phot has a batch convert and that saves A LOT of time.

10 minutes ago, Mr. K said:

An .ai file is useless to me. At least a Designer file will open in Designer.

A .ai file will open in Designer, too, if you setup the OS options to use Designer as the default for .ai files, or if you use "Open with" when viewing files in your file system.

Or if you Open it from within Designer.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1