You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Resize Layer to pasted content

When I paste something the pasted content is automatically aligned to the top left corner and the layer size stays the same. So when the pasted content is bigger than the layer, only the top left part is visible. I would need to resize the layer in advance and then crop it manually.

Or is there any way to do this properly like in basically any other photo editor that asks what to do (resize)? I'd even prefer to automatically resize the layer to the pasted size, if bigger (in this case)

After you paste the content you can use

Document > Unclip Canvas

to resize the "layer" so the new content fits on it

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

With the pasted layer selected with the Move tool, even without unclipping the canvas you can zoom out & grab a corner handle to resize & reposition it. You can also use the Transform panel to change the width, height, & x-y coordinates numerically.

I know of three ways to change the numbers in the Transform panel:

1. The obvious one of clicking on a number field & typing. This works fine with the chain link icon to maintain a constant aspect ratio for the w & h values.

2. Dragging left or right on a text field label. This does not work with the chain link icon to maintain a constant aspect ratio, & may be a bug.

3. If you have a mouse or equivalent with a scroll function, placing the pointer over a number field will change it with the scroll function. This also works correctly with the chain link icon, & by using the shift or option key you can change how quickly the value increments.

Method 3 is a good way to resize pasted content interactively, but only if you have an input device with a scroll function. Method 2 would be too, except that it doesn't work with the chain link function to maintain a constant aspect ratio.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7