Hi,

there seem to be a bug:

1) File-> New

2) Add Pixel Layer

3) Elliptical Marquee Tool -> Drag Eliipse

4) Mask Layer

5) Deselect (Ctrl+D)

6) Ctrl+Left Click on Layer Mask

=> History shows "Selection From Layer" but no selection appears.

Now:

1) File-> New

2) Add Pixel Layer

4) Paint brush tool -> Draw a curve

3) Elliptical Marquee Tool -> Drag Eliipse partially overlapping the curve

4) Mask Layer

5) Deselect (Ctrl+D)

6) Ctrl+Left Click on Layer Mask

=> The created selection consists of the intersection of the former mask with the created pixels of the pixel layer.

I just tried it and get the exact same results. And if you Ctrl+Left Click repeatedly , it keeps adding "Selection From Layer" each time.

Does not seem normal to me...

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

Tried second one, looks like when there are no pixels other than the curve it's calculating the mask as the intersection of the bounding box of the curve (that's the bounding box of the image at this point) and the ellipse mask.
If you fill in the whole image with colour (pixels) then draw the curve you get a full ellipse as it's obviously completely within the area of the images bounding box.

Now whether that is considered 'normal' or not I don't know and as I am using this to finish off photographs I'm not sure when I'd come across that as an issue.
Consider, if you fill in the entire image with pixels then create an ellipse mask that is dragged outwith the bounds of the image I would expect the mask to have a partial ellipse with a straight edge where it crosses edge of the image. In that sense what it's doing in the example seems consistent.

• Staff

Hi Asser82,

Harry has essentially hit the nail on the head. Both issues are the same - if there is nothing on the pixel layer then there is no bounding box, so nothing is selected; if there is contents on the layer then it will make the selection to the extents of the bounding box of the pixel layer. 

I will get it reported as it certainly does feel wrong! 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.