You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Correct overexposed images

A simple method of correcting the "washed out" look of an overexposed photo is to duplicate the photo layer and set the new layer's blend mode to 'Multiply'. If this darkens the photo too much, reduce the opacity of the upper layer until it looks right.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Hi Andrey,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

If you are working with RAW files there's Exposure controls in the Basic tab on the panels on the right. You may also want to take a look those tutorials Custom Tone Curve and Maximising your Raw Latitude for additional info on disabling the Tone Curve to better/manually control the RAW conversion.

If you are working with an already processed image (JPG, PNG) you may also select it in the Layers panel and switch to Develop Persona to adjust the Exposure there or apply an Exposure Adjustment (menu Layer ▸ New Adjustment Layer ▸ Exposure Adjustment) while you are in Photo Persona. For more info on Adjustment layers check video.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Andrey,

I aam trying to replicate what you ststed below. I am working on a jpeg that I took of  frame off an 8m movie, circa 1978. When I try 

to switch to Develop Persona I get this error message - Please select an RGB pixel layer" which I don'y see". Have attached a photo for any recommendations 

if you have any.

Thanks for any help.

Don

IMG_2254x.afphoto

Hi Andrey,

I aam trying to replicate what you ststed below. I am working on a jpeg that I took of  frame off an 8m movie, circa 1978. When I try 

to switch to Develop Persona I get this error message - Please select an RGB pixel layer" which I don'y see". Have attached a photo for any recommendations 

if you have any.

Thanks for any help.

Don

there is no point quality wise in moving into the develop persona after the development has already taken place (which is the case when you are in the photo persona)

@HVDB

and you don´t need to unlock the background layer, you just need to select it

cheers