You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Importing Mulit-Layer PSD Cannot be Parsed

Hello,

I am a 3D artist looking to ditch Photoshop and am very happy to have found Photo.

Part of my workflow has me baking out various textures from Marmoset's Toolbag 3. Within this package is the ability to bake all of the textures into a multi-layer PSD. I've hit my first hurdle working with Photo though as I am unable to open up these exported PSD files in Photo. The error message looks like this:

Failed_Import.png

I've also attached a low resolution bake of a multi-layered PSD exported from Toolbag if it helps give your team any insight into its file structure.

bake.psd

tried that too with other exported PSD files, that missing signature error inside of Affinity Photo occurs as soon as you try to export the PSDs with the use of the option "Multi-Layer PSD" in the Bake options,

it happens regardless if you export more than one Layer or multiple ones.

Currently opening that PSD in Photoshop and resaving as PSD file, makes it readable for Affinity Photo.

Would be nice if the file could be read without having to resort to Photoshop to make it readable for Affinity Photo.

two files with each only having one layer, exported with "Multi-Layer PSD" activated other deactivated.

nomultilayeroptionselected_normals.psd

multilayeroptionselected_normals.psd

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | artstation store

Windows 11 Pro - 23H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

• Staff

Looks like Marmoset's Toolbar 3 doesn't create 'correct' PSD files.  I've tried these files in a few other third party apps, and none of them can open your files.

Photoshop seems to be very forgiving of badly formed files.  I'd rather we stay on the side of caution to avoid bad files causing undefined behaviour.  When I see an example of a badly formed PSD, I can then add mitigating code for that pattern.

I'll add something to avoid the errors in the Marmoset PSD files.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• Staff

Another thing I have found is that bake.psd file is 16-bit, but uses RLE compression.  Photoshop only ever uses Zip compression for 16-bit. We can parse 16-bit RLE, but it is not standard. RLE on 16-bit will not produce very good compression. Seems Marmoset is not producing very good PSD files.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Since those PSD files are causing problems in more 2D/3D applications, the error(s) got forwarded to the toolbag developers.

hopefully they can fix it.

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | artstation store

Windows 11 Pro - 23H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Ben et al,

I'm a developer at Marmoset working on our PSD writing code this week. I'm looking over it carefully comparing it against the adobe specifiction document, but I haven't yet found anything wrong or non-standard. I have however observed that our multi-layer files don't load in Photo and some other applications. I did try removing RLE for 16 bit images, which we only used for empty channels anyway, but that was not the source of the error it seems.

If someone from your team is working on this on your end, I would love to get some more information about any flaws in our PSD files exported from Toolbag. Even if it's possible to do a workaround in the loader in Photo, we would prefer to fix any problems on our end as well.

Thanks!

PS - Photo seems like a cool app; I bought a copy today.

An update on this: I think I found the problem (one of the layer mask segments was writing the wrong size, off by 4 bytes). Changing this allows layered files to load correctly in Photo and some other apps. This fix will be in Toolbag's next release.

Any more info on PSD problems is always welcome. Thanks for the feedback!

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.