You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there any information on when, or even if, we will ever get a Destructive Crop option?  Finally learned (thanks again to all who helped) how to create more than one border for an image but I still have to Save it as a Tiff, close the window, and reload the image if I have done any cropping or leveling.  

• Staff

Hi Lille, rather than saving and re-opening, if you want to discard the parts hidden by the crop you could just right click the pixel layer (usually Background) and choose Rasterise. If you haven't done any Layer work you could also use Document>Flatten. Both methods should make the crop destructive though. Hope that helps!

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

Hi Lille, rather than saving and re-opening, if you want to discard the parts hidden by the crop you could just right click the pixel layer (usually Background) and choose Rasterise. If you haven't done any Layer work you could also use Document>Flatten. Both methods should make the crop destructive though. Hope that helps!

do you also export your pictures using nearest neighbour interpolation?

hope the rasterisation option for resampling get´s added in 1.6

• Staff

do you also export your pictures using nearest neighbour interpolation?

No I don't, but I'm not sure how that's relevant? You're simply rasterising the content on the canvas (thereby removing the information outside of the chosen crop), there's no resampling of the resolution involved...

I'm simply taking LilleG's request at face value - it seems that she doesn't want a destructive crop, presumably because she is cropping then wanting to resize the canvas larger to obtain a border (or multiple borders)? Rather than exporting and opening a new bitmap file as a way of throwing away the crop information, she can simply (re)rasterise the pixel layer...

Eh, exuse me, if I crop an image by rotate it why isn't all you describe above done automatically as most image-editors do already?

If I rotate an image and repositioning it, why do I have to do extra steps to get rid of "out of boundary" areas, goes beyond me?

If I do a misstake you can always go back.

As it works now is like crop and crop again sort of.

/CekariYH

English is a funny language, seldom it spells the words like I do...

I'm simply taking LilleG's request at face value - it seems that she doesn't want a destructive crop, presumably because she is cropping then wanting to resize the canvas larger to obtain a border (or multiple borders)? Rather than exporting and opening a new bitmap file as a way of throwing away the crop information, she can simply (re)rasterise the pixel layer...

Uh, Lille definitely does want a Destructive Crop!  Lille is praying for a Destructive Crop.  An out-of-level photo drives me nuts so I am quite often rotating to straighten then cropping to remove the transparent areas.  Except that Affinity's crop doesn't remove anything; it just hides it.  Until you try to resize the canvas.  When you do...your original now-rotated image is back with some really odd looking transparent spaces around it!  

As for the rasterize option, in another discussion about the crop issue Rasterizing was suggested and someone pointed out that Rasterizing at that point would degrade the image.  Is that not correct?  If Rasterize does not affect quality then it would be an option.  But it's still an added step in what should be a simple operation.  I'd love to see a Preferences option for Destructive/Non-Destrutive because I will never, ever, want a non-destructive crop.  Other people do; let us choose what is best for us.

No it is not just rasterising but also resampling as soon as you've added any other images/ resized rotated or applied effects which is pretty much the main advantage of a photo compositing app compared to a DAM. I've talked about this in several threads already so I'm a little surprised that you don't know.

Uh...what is revamping?  What I am doing is developing a raw image, using the Crop tool to rotate the image to level (I can do it better and quicker by eye in Crop than I can with the string-type straighten tool) then Cropping it to remove the unwanted area.  At that point, what I am currently doing is Exporting it as a Tiff (lossless) and then bringing the Tiff back in to APhoto for further editing.  

• Staff

Uh...what is revamping?  What I am doing is developing a raw image, using the Crop tool to rotate the image to level (I can do it better and quicker by eye in Crop than I can with the string-type straighten tool) then Cropping it to remove the unwanted area.  At that point, what I am currently doing is Exporting it as a Tiff (lossless) and then bringing the Tiff back in to APhoto for further editing.  

Resampling (in the context of imagery) is scaling the image (as in its actual resolution/number of pixels) and there are numerous methods of doing so (nearest neighbour, bilinear, bicubic etc).

Given your workflow, however, you really don't have to worry about this. If you do your cropping as normal, rather than export, you can then use either Rasterise or Flatten from the Document menu - or right click the layer and choose Rasterise. You shouldn't see any quality loss and you can then carry on editing the original document rather than working from an exported copy.

Wait what...no destructive crop unless am willing to rasterize or flatten all my layers! I need my layers as layers. Am I misunderstanding, missing a chapter not read yet? The apple help guide seems to be of no help about this. This feature has been a fundamental one for a long, long time in many bitmap apps. Is the math that difficult, the coding that hard for this app to support it? Please help me understand why this feature is missing. Sorry just in shock. Thanks.

• Staff

All,

We don't do it because it would be a checkbox just for the sake of it.. we could put one on there, but all it would do would automatically perform Layer -> Rasterise.

There are many things I might want to do after cropping - flip horizontal for example - should there be a checkbox for this too?? We could end up with a lot of checkboxes ;)

As James said - if you want to trim the spare pixels off, just rasterise the layer - it will be resampled - but it would get resampled if it did it automatically - because it has to!

And no - rasterise doesn't flatten all layers - just the one you have just cropped.

Hope this helps,

Andy.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.