You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export separated layers?

Quick question,

Is it possible to export each individual layer as a separate file?

The reason is, I'm truly considering to ditch Illustrator and use AD as my main vector software.

At the moment, I'm kind of tied to Illustrator because of its integration with After Effects. That said, if I can export separate layers, then I can easily create comps in AE skipping AI altogether :)

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

• Staff

Hi verysame,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

In Export Persona you can create a slice from each object/layer/group in the Layers panel which you can then export as an independent file from the Slices panel.

Check the 11. Saving, exporting and sharing video tutorials from this thread for more details on exporting/Export Persona in particular this video: Exporting: Creating Slices from Layers.

Thank you for the prompt reply!

I was looking right at that tutorial, I used Persona to create the slices, but it seems I can only export either JPGs or PNGs, whereas I need EPS.

I must be doing something wrong... 

Edit: never mind, I figure it out :)

At first, I didn't notice the panel above the slices with the option for the format.

It worked! :)

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti

Alright,

Now I have another problem.

The export works great, the only thing is the position of the individual layers after the export is not related to the canvas.

Each layer's dimension takes into account the dimension of the contents of that layer, not the document.

In other words, when I import back the layers exported via Persona, what was aligned to the left, now appears centered, what was on the top, again is centered.

What I would need is an option to export the slices keeping the document dimension as a base for their size.

Does that make sense?

Andrew
-

• Staff

Hi verysame,

You can add a rectangle to each layer you want to export separately with the same size as the document, then in the Layers Panel in Export Persona set it to invisible. Recreate the slices from the layers again and they will export with the size of the document keeping the rest of the layer's contents in their original position in relation to the canvas.

Hi verysame,

You can add a rectangle to each layer you want to export separately with the same size as the document, then in the Layers Panel in Export Persona set it to invisible. Recreate the slices from the layers again and they will export with the size of the document keeping the rest of the layer's contents in their original position in relation to the canvas.

Thanks MEB,

That's a good workaround, although I wish there was an option to automatically export the whole artboard area.

Especially because I've a lot of layers to export, which means I have to copy and paste the rectangle to all the layers (as far as I know one by one, and by hand).

Anyway, the export artboard size sounds like a good candidate for a feature request.

Andrew
-