You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Unable to select all of symbol using move tool

(1.5.0.21, Windows)

Problem: Cannot directly select all of a symbol by clicking with the move tool, when part of a symbol was created from a grouped triangle shape and line.

Note: Unfortunately I cannot now repeat this problem except within the attached file. Also, it is possible to select the line part of the symbol by intersecting with a selection marquee.

Process steps:  (as far as I can remember):

1. draw 3pt straight line
2. create a triangle shape, rotate 90 degrees
3. group line and triangle shape
4. create symbol and rename
5. drag symbol onto page

selecting-symbol.afdesign

post-32390-0-59058200-1475918293_thumb.png

v2.4.1 Designer/Photo/Publisher | Mac mini (M1, 2020) | Sonoma 14.4.1

Actually, I wonder why you get (or even need) the groups shown below (red). When I follow your (standard) recipe, I get a much simpler document structure by default (green). So I guess you got something wrong in that single instance …  :)

post-1198-0-76489100-1475923589_thumb.png

post-1198-0-81665000-1475923594_thumb.png

Thanks for taking a look ABC. I note in your example you’ve used a rectangle rather a line (curve). I’ve not actually been able to reproduce the problem using a rectangle.

I’ve now discovered it's the (unintentional) extra grouping that causes the problem, not creating a symbol.

I can recreate the issue by:

1. Create a triangle
2. Select the triangle and group (Ctrl+G)
3. Draw a line
4. Select the line and group
5. Select both the triangle and the line and group

If I now try to select the group by clicking the line, I can’t.

post-32390-0-91305600-1476046841_thumb.png

I see, you’re on a PC … :rolleyes:

On a Mac, you would simply hold down the Cmd key in order to select items in a group directly. By doing so, you can select your line as well, even when applying the redundant grouping operations …  :)

(Though I must admit that the usual repeated double click action that allows diving deeper into groups doesn’t work on the Mac as well. I filed a bug report for this case.)

I see, you’re on a PC … :rolleyes:

Yes, I think most people will be using a (Windows) PC in this section of the forum. :)

I can confirm the Ctrl key can also be used to help select single objects within a group, including the line in example file attached to my first post.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.