You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Basic Move tool question

Dear Affinity,

Hi, I am using the Move tool to scale objects in a composition . I can't figure out how to constrain the proportions so I don't accidentally distort the objects. Also I'd like to scale them from the center, not a corner.

Thanks for your help.

-Walt

Hello Waltl,

Hold Shift to constrain your selection, and hold Ctrl/Cmd to scale it from the center.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• Staff

All this information is on the hint line at the bottom of the app window.  This will change as you mouse over different control handles on the spread to inform you what modifier keys are available to use in the tool and what they do.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Hello Waltl,

Hold Shift to constrain your selection, and hold Ctrl/Cmd to scale it from the center.

Hi ,Thanks. I tried it and it doesn't seem to work as I would expect. If I hold the shift key it is only constrained in proportion if I tow a very straight line.  If I wander a little it squishes the image. Which means it doesn't really constrain it at all. Also the control/command does expand and contract from the center, but also will rotate if you are not careful. This is  not a huge problem unless you are preparing final copy for print and everything needs to be correct.

If I wander a little it squishes the image.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Are you looking into keeping the object the same ratio of size? Then check off 'Scale with object' in the Stroke panel.

Also the control/command does expand and contract from the center, but also will rotate if you are not careful.

Watch your cursor carefully before selecting. If you are too far away from the object's corner, it will turn into a rotation indicator. Rotation is not caused by the Ctrl or Cmd key, just where the object is selected.

Also, if you hold Ctrl and Shift at the same time while transforming the object, then you can constrain it and resize it from the center at once.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Hi ,Thanks. I tried it and it doesn't seem to work as I would expect. If I hold the shift key it is only constrained in proportion if I tow a very straight line.  If I wander a little it squishes the image. Which means it doesn't really constrain it at all. Also the control/command does expand and contract from the center, but also will rotate if you are not careful. This is  not a huge problem unless you are preparing final copy for print and everything needs to be correct.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Are you looking into keeping the object the same ratio of size? Then check off 'Scale with object' in the Stroke panel.

Watch your cursor carefully before selecting. If you are too far away from the object's corner, it will turn into a rotation indicator. Rotation is not caused by the Ctrl or Cmd key, just where the object is selected.

Also, if you hold Ctrl and Shift at the same time while transforming the object, then you can constrain it and resize it from the center at once.

Dear bleduc,

Perhaps I have a different version than you. If I hold shift/command the object does indeed scale from the center and constrain proportions.Shift/control  scales from the corner and enables rotation.??

Dear bleduc,

Perhaps I have a different version than you. If I hold shift/command the object does indeed scale from the center and constrain proportions.Shift/control  scales from the corner and enables rotation.??

I didn't realize you were using a Mac. It sounds like the key commands have been slightly switched for Windows users.

Here is the topic of all of the shortcuts for Mac users. (Page 4 of the Designer PDF is what you're looking for.)

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/15683-affinity-keyboard-shortcuts-gestures-and-expressions/

Rotation on the Mac version is not enabled by any keypress. It is as bleduc said, controlled by where the pointer is placed relative to the control handles of a selected object. There is a small zone around each corner of the selection box where the Move tool pointer changed to a rotation arrow, indicating that clicking & dragging there will rotate the object rather than resize it. There are similar zones near the center of each edge of the selection box where the pointer turns into two arrows pointing in opposite directions, indicating clicking & dragging in the indicated direction will skew the object.

These functions have nothing to do with pressing any key -- they are always available when the Move tool is selected.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7