You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Dodge & Burn Question

• Staff

Hi HRP,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Do you have the correct layer selected in the Layers panel (not a mask or an adjustment layer for example)?

Is the layer you want to dodge/burn identified an an Image layer type in the Layers panel? You can check this looking at the label between parenthesis after the layer's name. 

If it's identified as an Image layer type, right-click on it and select Rasterise... to convert it to a Pixel layer type. Pixel layers let you edit the image at a pixel level (it's a generic container for raster operations) while Image layers are considered an object layer type which can only be manipulated globally (scale, rotate, skew etc). After converting the layer you should be able to burn/dodge it.

if you want your dodge/burn to be non destructive, create a 50% grey pixel layer set to OVERLAY mode. Then burn and dodge that layer to your heart's content. If you don't like what you did you can refill it with 50% grey and start over. Further, you can have multiple such layers: one for reserved for burning (and you can precisely adjust the "Blend if" controls to restrict the burning to just midtones and highlights for example) and another just for dodging. Lots of flexibility here.

Michael

The layer I want to burn/dodge is a pixel layer.  The blank layer on which I am attempting to burn/dodge is a pixel layer.  I have selected the blank layer. Still unable to burn/dodge. Works fine on the underlying pixel layer, but not on the blank layer. Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

The blank layer on which I am attempting to burn/dodge is a pixel layer.  I have selected the blank layer. Still unable to burn/dodge. Works fine on the underlying pixel layer, but not on the blank layer.

If the layer is blank, there is nothing in it to burn or dodge.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Tried the 50% gray technique and that doesn't work either.

so when you "burn" a 50% grey, you need to choose "shadows" otherwise you might very well get nada. Likewise when you dodge a 50% grey, you need to choose highlights. Try this: make a 50% grey overlay layer. Then use your paint brush to brush with black -- the original image should appear very dark where you painted. Likewise, use your paint brush to paint with white -- things should be much lighter. If not, then you are doing something very, very wrong. (p.s. this same technique works and is praised by many Photoshop users)

M