You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Here is the file it happened with.

Cross-58.afdesign

Upon closer examination, I noticed there are two nodes overlapping, one is smooth, one is not. I have no idea why AD decided to put two nodes in there. IIRC, all I did was doing was using the corner tool a lot along with baking the corners.

I really wish we had the simplify tool in AD as we did in DrawPlus, and in just about any other vector editor.

I really wish we had the simplify tool in AD as we did in DrawPlus, and in just about any other vector editor.

Me too. The 'Smooth curve' button sometimes helps a little, but it needs quite a lot of improvement, and a slider as in DP seems the obvious way to go.

Another feature that I miss from DP and other vector editors is keypresses to move from a selected node to the next one or the previous one.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

@Alfred...+100

I have used XDP for so many years, I cannot count the number of times I have pressed the tab key in AD. In XDP the tab key cycles through the nodes when editing them. I then (mentally) slap the forehead, press it again and just select the node I want to tweak in AD. Pressing the tab key to move through the nodes is an ingrained habit that is hard for me to break.

Delete one of the nodes.

How? They’re overlapping. I see no way of selecting just one of them. Besides, since clicking on a node tends to move it (a bug reported many times), I have always been selecting nodes by dragging around. Which in this case selects them both.

If using the node tool, just click on one. Then hit delete. While the bug is still there as regards things moving, in this case it doesn't matter as it is being deleted.

The above works fine here.

I actually tried that after my last post. The problem was that clicking on one did not necessarily pick the one I wanted to delete (the one that was not smooth). I had to try clicking and shift clicking over and over, also watching for any moves (and ^Z to undo them) before it selected the one I wanted to delete.

Eventually I got it done, but we really need an easier way to select the node we want to select!

On a related topic, once a node is selected, we are able to move the node by typing in a new X and Y, or even move a group of them by using the nice feature of -=20 and +=20. But, unless I’m missing something, we have no way of typing in the exact values for the control points of the curve. I tried dragging around the control point in the hope of selecting it and getting its coordinates in the coordinate boxes, but the moment I pressed the mouse key the control points disappeared from the view.  :huh:  I wish when a node is selected we could type in not just its new coordinates but those of both of its control points (assuming one or both sides of it are not connected to a straight line).

I wish when a node is selected we could type in not just its new coordinates but those of both of its control points (assuming one or both sides of it are not connected to a straight line).

Even when a node is connected to two straight lines, it still has two control points. They're just coincident with the node itself.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.